• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF 11 Developer Ed. IP limit

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the IP limit maximum of a CF server developer edition.

I just noticed that by accident I am running a dev edition on a server that responds to many web sites (multi homed under Windows IIS)

These domains are speculative (about 10) and all they do is say "FOR SALE".  They also track IP of origin, unique IP's. All told about 500 inquiries a day.

But WHY does it even work???  Shouldn't users or robots get an error saying maxed out based on IP addresses?

I am planning on installing CF18 in the coming week, when it occurred to me ... don't fix what ain't broken ... and WHY is the IP restriction not being enforced?

I thought 2 or 3 was the limit?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

You may be recalling a time when CF's Dev edition limit was such that once that limit was reached, then no FURTHER requests from ANY IPs would be allowed. Instead, since at least CF10, it's that if any more than 2 requests AT A TIME come from 2 different IPs (other than localhost) at the same time, then the browser making such a request will be given the error. But they could hit refresh and likely have the page work (if the other two requests running at the previous attempt had finished).

It use

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be recalling a time when CF's Dev edition limit was such that once that limit was reached, then no FURTHER requests from ANY IPs would be allowed. Instead, since at least CF10, it's that if any more than 2 requests AT A TIME come from 2 different IPs (other than localhost) at the same time, then the browser making such a request will be given the error. But they could hit refresh and likely have the page work (if the other two requests running at the previous attempt had finished).

It used to be that if you did hit this limit of more than 2 IPs, then requests from no other IPs would be allowed until CF was restarted. That was quite limiting for those using this for central dev or perhaps even testing. The change is indeed helpful for those folks.

Of course, one is not allowed to run the Dev edition for production purposes. I know you said your use was by accident. I just point this out to clarify to readers that while this change in behavior does make it easier to work with the Dev edition, it should not be used to get around licensing CF.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using CF since 1998(?) and just as I clicked post I reminded myself about what you posted. 

Apologies for wasting your time. And thanks for your reply!

Back to researching and installing CF18 which looks like a HUGE learning curve and not for the meek or timid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries on the question (or my answering). Lots of people operate under this misconception. I had been planning to do a blog post on the topic.

As for your saying that "researching and installing" CF2018 is a "huge" undertaking, well not at all. First, the install takes only minutes (and is not that different than the CF11 you're moving from). And there's not much in the way of incompatibility (most is documented here).

Finally, as for "reseaching" CF2018, well, you don't NEED to know all that's new about it, if you are just migrating. But sure, there are lots of new things. Maybe you have seen that Adobe has documented things, both in docs and in a couple dozen blog posts when it was released. (I have a blog post highlighting those.) Or maybe you have seen my hidden gems in 2018 series.

So again, sure, there's plenty you CAN learn, and much one perhaps should. But let's not leave people thinking that moving to it is a "huge undertaking". It really is not, for the several dozen shops I've helped do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring mainly to photos I'd seen of the 18 cfadmin panel which looks as if it has received a MAJOR UI redesign, hence learning curve?  OMG.  Installed it.  UNinstalling it!  Going to 16, not 18.  Looks like they forced Windows 8 on us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The cf2018 admin ui change really should not be feared as overwhelming. All it did was move submenus from the left to the top, and to change the left menu titles to icons in their place. If you mouse over the left icons, or click the hamburger menu icon on the top left, you can see the menu headings.

Best of all, cf2018 added a new search feature for the cf admin. Click the magnifying glass in the top right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation