Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF 11 SQL Server Connctions

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2016 Jun 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm running a CF 11 multi-server setup on a Server 2012 R2 box with multiple websites that have their own IP addresses (multiple IP's).  Even though each site has it's own IP address, I see all CF 11 instances using the same IP address to connect to Microsoft SQL server.  Why is CF 11 behaving this way and is this configurable?

Thank you,

Billy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Billy, can you clarify if you understand that the connection to SQLServer from CF is defined in the CF Admin and its Datasources page? That’s where it’s configurable.

Or is there some ongoing confusion?

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Sir.  Each CF instance has a data source that points to the same database server, but separate databases.  It's really weird because it's not even using the default IP address of the server when the connections are made to the databases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Billy,

I guess it would be CF Java component making the JDBC or ODBC database connection, not the tomcat component that get's bound to your webserver sites. So I guess however Java is network binding is going to determine what TCP address the database connections are coming from.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like Coldfusion is just randomly picking one of the assigned IP addresses to use or its using the lowest IP address rather than using the default IP address of the Primary NIC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a Windows thing.  Have a look at a related discussion here:

networking - Windows Server 2008: specifying the default IP address when NIC has multiple addresses ...

I've used the "skipassource" trick to get our CF server's outbound traffic IP address to match the incoming IP address defined for the website in IIS - but all our websites use host headers and share one IP address, so probably not a solution for your situation.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 16, 2016 Jun 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

billyb10790207 wrote:

Hi,

I'm running a CF 11 multi-server setup on a Server 2012 R2 box with multiple websites that have their own IP addresses (multiple IP's). Even though each site has it's own IP address, I see all CF 11 instances using the same IP address to connect to Microsoft SQL server. Why is CF 11 behaving this way and is this configurable?

Thank you,

Billy

It's not clear, to me, where you are looking and seeing the IP address you are talking about. Are you using the SQL Server Management Studio to see which IP addresses are making connections to the SQL Server process?

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the IP address in SQL Management studio.  You can also see the connections by running the "netstat -an" command from a command prompt.  My main question is why does Coldfusion not use the default IP address on the server to make outgoing connections?  It seems like its just picking one of my other IP address that I've got assigned to specific IIS web sites.  It just so happens that it was using a IP address that we didn't need assigned on the server anymore, so I removed that IP address, restarted all the coldfusion services, and it used the next higher IP address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing it is using whatever IP address that DNS returns.

If you use ping or tracert (on the server that hosts the CF process) with the fully qualified server name (e.g. CfServer.ou.o, in other words, the directory services name, not the Web address) what IP address is displayed?

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i ping the host name of the server it comes back as ::1.

billy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a problem. Pinging any hostname other than "localhost" should never give you the loopback address.

Is this server in a directory services domain?

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a standalone server, not a member of the domain.  However, the Host A record is statically entered into DNS and is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation