• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF 11 Update 15 - CF ODBC server no more starts

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing the latest update hotfix 15 (see ColdFusion 11 Update 15 ) on our coldfusion 11 server (Win 2008 R2 with latest patches and latest java jdk) the CF server restarts (access to CF admin is working) but the CF ODBC service does no more start. After un-installing the update it works again. Any idea how to fix this? Is this a known issue?

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would bet the problem is  not some issue with the update but with a problem on your end in the implementation of the update.

I suspect that somehow the 2 cf odbc services did not stop. But it could be other things.

Try running the update again, but first stopping those (and the cf add-on service, if you see it).

I have more on this here:

How to solve common problems with applying ColdFusion updates (in 10 and above) - Charlie Arehart's ...

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Charlie,

thank you for your answer. All services have been stopped and restarted except the ODBC service did not start again.

There were no errors in the update logfile, it says

Installation: Successful.

1271 Successes

0 Warnings

0 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Action Notes:

None

I will give the installation another try the next days and stop the Add-On service and the ODBC service before the installation as recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same issue.  I am running on Windows 2012 R2.

After I applied the update the service would not start and I could not find any useful error messages.  The application returns a service unavailable message.  Luckily I applied this update on a test server, as we usually do with newly released updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With previous versions at least, there are installers for the ODBC services right in the CF directory. I don't have CF in front of me today, but you can generally uninstall and/or reinstall these services (ODBC Server, ODBC Agent) from a command line with admin permissions.

That said, you should try to avoid using ODBC if possible.

Dave Watts, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tbarroqueiro, did you look in the update log (see my blog for more). If so, then if it shows 0 errors though cf wont start, then your issue is  it with the update.

If CF  won't start and there are also no messages about the startup in the cf out or error logs, then it's likely a jvm issue. Try starting CF from the command line, using cfstart in the cfusion/bin (or instance name/ bin). That would report any jvm errors.

If that's the issue, and you "hadnt changed anything" but running the CF update, then a common problem is if someone updated the jvm on the machine (perhaps says or weeks ago), which may have tried to remove the older jvm that cf wss using. Since Cf was up, not all the jvm files were removed, and on restarting cf (while doing the cf update), now cf didn't have all the jvm files it needed.

Let us know if this gets you going or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All CF services start except for the ODBC server service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tbarroqueiro, my reply to you just a moment ago was to your first comment here. You were writing your second one at the same time .

So now I see you meant (in your first note) that the "service" that would not start was the odbc one. Oh. Sorry, I thought you were referring to the cf service.

Even so, your second reply still doesn't clarify if you looked in the update log. They are not obvious to find, nor are their error indications within the file.) Again, see my blog post for more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie, here is the process I went through:

1) Stopped all CF Services

2) Opened command prompt as admin and ran the jar file java -jar c:\CodlFusion11...

3) Install processes successfully

4) All services except for ODBC Server start - *Not sure if there is a way to manually start this through CMD to produce error

5) Website returns "Service Unavailable" error

Here are the logs from the installer:

#Choose  ColdFusion 11 Home directory

#------------------------------------

USER_INSTALL_DIR=C:\\ColdFusion11

Summary

-------

Installation: Successful.

1269 Successes

0 Warnings

0 NonFatalErrors

0 FatalErrors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i run cfstart from the command line it starts up and the site works.  I can access cfadmin and everything appears to be working properly.  However, none of the service show as started/running in the windows service manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just realized once I close that command window, the site no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, because when you start it from the command line it's running as an application within your account's security context, not as a service. Services run within their own security context and start and stop independently of users logging in or out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through the upgrade process once again, this time making sure to stop all CF services on the server.  i also paid close attention to make sure there were no errors shown during the upgrade process.  At the end, the ODBC Server service will not start.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brahms_x01 can you let us know if my first reply to you helped or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brahms_x01.. Do you see any errors in ColdFusion-error.log? Also, can you start ColdFusion from the command prompt and check if you see any error related to ODBC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Coldfusion-error.log has the following suspicious entries during the update:

INFORMATION: At least one JAR was scanned for TLDs yet contained no TLDs. Enable debug logging for this logger for a complete list of JARs that were scanned but no TLDs were found in them. Skipping unneeded JARs during scanning can improve startup time and JSP compilation time.

and

SQLException while attempting to connect: java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver]TCP/IP error, connection refused..

As main database server we are using MariaDB. Also some MS Access datasources are in use (I know that MS Access is not the optimal solution but there is still a need for it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get a chance to start ColdFusion service from command prompt and see if there are any ODBC entries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tied the update on another server with the same result, ODBC Server service fails to start.  Is there a specific command sequence I should use for starting the services through command prompt?  I know it is cfstart, and other switches after that?  Should all services be stopped prior to running that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please try this.

Go to "C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\db\slserver54\tracing", there are 2 files.

a. ColdFusion 11 ODBC Agent.trc b. ColdFusion 11 ODBC Server.trc

Take the backup of these files and then remove it from this folder, then try to start the service.

Thanks,

Priyank Shrivastava

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I found another old forum post referencing this for another issue.  i tried that but still no luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As this didn't help, you can delete the ODBC service using the below command.

1. Open the command prompt as Run as Admin.

2. Run this command --

a) sc delete "ColdFusion 11 ODBC Agent"

b) sc delete "ColdFusion 11 ODBC Server"

3. Go to "C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib" and open the admincnfig.xml and make the below changes and restart the ColdFusion service. Once you login it will ask you to login again and it will create the odbc services.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<setupconfig>

<runsetupwizard>true</runsetupwizard>

<runmigrationwizard>false</runmigrationwizard>

<runmxmigrationwizard>false</runmxmigrationwizard>

<runsecureprofile>false</runsecureprofile>

<migratecf10>false</migratecf10>

<migratecf9>false</migratecf9>

<setupoptions>

<sampleapps>false</sampleapps>

<odbc>true</odbc>

<enablerds>false</enablerds>

</setupoptions>

</setupconfig>

Save it and restart ColdFusion service. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Priyank.  I will try this today.  Is there anything I can do to confirm whether thsoe services are needed or not, before deleting them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not using ODBC database connections, you don't need ODBC services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Priyank, I went through the steps you outline.  I rebooted the server after making the changes, looks like the service still fails to start.  This time however, the application and CF seem fine.

I think I am just going to remove the ODBC service since we don't need it.

Has anyone heard of other cases where people are having issues with the ODBC service after update 15?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I will create an ODBC connection with a DB and then I will apply update 15. Let's see if I can replicate the issue. Meanwhile, if you are not using the ODBC connection in your ColdFusion server, you can ignore it. I will work through this and if necessary will check with the development team and update the thread.

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Thanks,
Priyank Shrivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation