Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF Admin dysfunctional after changing webroot

Explorer ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

After changing the "server.xml" to point to my new (built-in server) webroot and pointing the appropriate Resources to the CFIDE and WEB-INF folders, the CF 2018 Admin webpage becomes unusable.  The login page loads.  I am able to log in.  The buttons show up for a split second, but are then greyed out as the Search Bar becomes the only thing I can click and type in.  Typing something in the Search Bar and submitting it does nothing.  Clicking the X on the Search Bar does not close it and the other function buttons are unclickable.

I am using the same 'change webroot' method outlined for CF 2016, which works great on that version.  I fear that by using this method somehow messes up the new 2018 Admin interface.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated.  Below are the code in the "server.xml" file and a screenshot of the CF Admin page...

(yes, I installed CF on my D: drive...I like to keep things off of my Windows directory.  I am using Windows 10)

<Context path="" docBase="E:/webroot" WorkDir="D:/ColdFusion2018/cfusion/runtime/conf/Catalina/localhost/tmp" >

<Resources>

<PreResources base="D:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE" className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet" webAppMount="/CFIDE"/>

<PreResources base="D:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot\WEB-INF" className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet" webAppMount="/WEB-INF"/>

</Resources>

</Context>

TIA

Zach

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Charlie that worked.  Here is what is in my server.xml now (I also put the new 'restplay' in there):

<Context path="" docBase="E:/webroot" WorkDir="D:/ColdFusion2018/cfusion/runtime/conf/Catalina/localhost/tmp" >

<Resources>

<PreResources base="D:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot\CFIDE" className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet" webAppMount="/CFIDE"/>

<PreResources base="D:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot\WEB-INF" className="org.apache.catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's really no reason to make that change. Can you point to what docs tell you to? I think you'll find you can do whatever you want another way. Are you using a web server other than cf's? If not, why not?

Anyway,. If you insist on changing things this way, see if solve it by creating another preresouces line for cf_scripts, pointing to the folder of that name in the cfusion/wwwroot.let us know if that solves this.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie that worked.  Here is what is in my server.xml now (I also put the new 'restplay' in there):

<Resources>

<PreResources base="D:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot\WEB-INF" className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet" webAppMount="/WEB-INF"/>

<PreResources base="D:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot\cf_scripts" className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet" webAppMount="/cf_scripts"/>

<PreResources base="D:\ColdFusion2018\cfusion\wwwroot\restplay" className="org.apache.catalina.webresources.DirResourceSet" webAppMount="/restplay"/>

</Resources>

</Context>

To answer your first question, yes, there is no reason to do this.  But for years I have partitioned my drives to keep content away from installs and installs away from Windows.  This also places the webroot in a convenient spot for me and (just like the old days of CF) keeps the CFIDE out of your actual webroot.  I realize this practice probably isn't needed anymore, but it just works for me anyway.

Thank you for your help!

Zach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yukonzach1​, please mark this as correctly answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the confirmation and clarification. (I marked your answer as the "correct" one, since you show the complete answer and acknowledge my contribution to it.)

But do I surmise correctly that you do all this not just for stated reasons, but primarily because you choose not to use a separate web server, like iis or apache or nginx? If you did use one, then THAT would be where your app webroot would be defined. And the cf_scripts would be put there as a virtual directory by the wsconfig tool (but not the CFIDE, since cf2016).

I understand how that may seem like "extra work", but so is what you are doing. 🙂 Most important, if this is a dev workstation, an advantage of this is that you'd then be able mimic how your prod is setup. That's using an external web server, right?

Still, I know old habits die hard. You may simply prefer to do what you do. I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm just saying it's not typical, and I offer these clarifications for consideration, whether by you or future readers who find this, with the same "problem". 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zach,

Let's try this:

Take a backup of neo-runtime.xml located at \ColdFusion2018\cfusion\lib and then open it in text editor.

Search for “CFFormScriptSrc” and make sure it's pointing to  /cf_scripts/scripts/.

Restart the ColdFusion service and try again.

Thanks,

Vikram 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vikram, can you consider and offer any thoughts on my response which preceded yours? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation