This situation affects a ColdFusion Project that is located on a network drive. It doesn't matter if I create a Default Linked Folder or not during the setup process. This problem does not seem to occur with other types of setups, including local file locations, or even other projects located on the network.*
In this scenario, on two separate installs using 64 bit Windows 10 with CF Builder 2016 Build 302777, CFB hangs for a minimum of 15 seconds as it tries to populate the "suggestion drop down" after entering essentially any code that ColdFusion Builder thinks it can help me with. It happens after typing
This "ColdFusion Project" has about 100 files in it. (It's a Mura plugin.)
I can get around this issue if I copy the entire project folder to my local drive, but that workaround doesn't seem realistic or ideal. Is this how CF Projects are to be set up in CFB?
This issue occurs even after I close all other panes in the perspective. And it occurs with or without errors in my code that CFB marks with an X.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
*I don't code much in ColdFusion Builder (I'd like to change that) and so I cannot tell for sure just how pervasive this issue is.
I'll be up front and honest with you - I am not a fan of CFB. At all. So, please forgive me if anything I say sounds biased. It is.
I believe you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that the problem goes away if you copy the files to your local hard drive. The way I have DW set up is to keep the files on the server, synch them down to my local system, and set it so that every time I save a file, it automatically saves on the network drive. Test. Edit. Save. Repeat. What you are most likely experiencing is network lag as CFB reaches out to the files on the server as it's preparing the list for display. Although I cannot say, for sure, that is the case. I'm guessing.
If you can set CFB up so that it mimics my DW setup, you should see that annoying lag stop. Most likely.
^ _ ^
DW doesn't give the the same issues as CFB, but that's most likely because it doesn't try. It's not aware of my variable names, and so it doesn't attempt to populate an autosuggest when using tags. And since DW doesn't even recognize cfscript, I've got no problems at all there!
Thanks for your reply.