• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF10 Concerns on 2008R2

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating from Server 2008r2 to 2012r2 to keep support. Concerns from previous ITM left the environment on 2008r2 instead of updating. What changes environmental changes will I need to make to allow CF10 to run after updating MS Server to 2012r2?

Please Help!

TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None should be required. Are you fearing it, or experiencing a problem?

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to add a follow-up/clarification: what I meant is that no change is required if you update the OS in place and don't reinstall CF or don't try to run the CF web server configuration tool (meaning if you leave things "in place" during the OS upgrade). Let me elaborate.

If you DO reinstall CF for any reason, or DO try to run the CF web server config tool, then do beware that the change to 2012r2 means not just the change to the OS but also a change to IIS 8.5, whereas on 2008r2 you had been on IIS 7.5. 

As for the web server, if you have applied or will apply CF10 update 8, that added the new support needed for the web server config tool to support IIS 8 and above. (This came out in Feb 2013: https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/coldfusion-10-update-8.html)

As for your CF10 installer and whether it will support installing on Windows 2012, that depends on when it was created. Adob released a new Windows installer for CF10  at the same time they offered that update (Feb 2013), and that new installer added support to install CF10 on Windows 8 and Server 2012.

If you instead have an installer from 2012, the original release of CF10, you may find that that installer will NOT work when you try to run it.

But again, for both points above, note that I am saying that if you just do an in-place OS upgrade, all should be fine. It's only if you a) later want to run the wsconfig tool that you want to be sure to be at least on CF10 update 8, or b) later want to install CF10 that you want to have the installer from 2013 or later.

Finally, I would be remiss in failing to warn you about running CF10 at all. You are concerned about updates to the OS and support by MS, right? Well, Adobe dropped support for CF10 in 2017, and then for CF11 in 2019. (And the currently supported CF2016 and 2018 will only be supported to 2021 and 2023, respectively.) So just beware: there are grave security concerns in CF that were only fixed in 11 or above, and still more only in 2016 and above. You will not get them if on 10, and so remain exposed. (So do be sure to at least be on the latest CF10 update, which was 23), and also the latest Java version that CF10 supported, which as of CF10 update 14 was Java 8.

If you want help with all this, beyond just forum assistance, I will note that I and others can offer direct remote screenshare help. See a list with links to such folks at http://www.cf411.com/cftrouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie, that information was very helpful. After verifying each server was running CF10 update 23, Java 8 about half our CF servers were able to successfully update Windows OS and run without issue. The other half perform the windows upgrade, but CF is not working as expected and our sites are getting 500 errors, I cannot determine what the cause is for those errors though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad to hear that things worked for most of the servers.

As for the rest that have errors, I'm sure it seems daunting but it may be that fixing one will provide the solution needed for the rest, if they share the same problem.

I can say that whatever the remaining problems, I can help you fix them, likely quickly via a remote screen share consulting session, if you don't want to wade through and wait for back and forths here. You can find more on my rates, approach, and satisfaction guarantee at carehart.org/consulting, or you can find other such consultants at cf411.com/cftrouble. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation