Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF10 or CF11 and Java 8??

LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone,

Since Java 7 EOL is fast approaching (April, as I understand it), I have been tasked with doing research to determine the viability of CF10 or CF11 and Java 1.8.

I've been seeing a LOT of complaints about Java 8, update 31, in forums.

Regardless of update version, has anyone experienced any issues with Java 8 as it relates to ColdFusion Server versions 10 or 11?

We are looking at having to upgrade before April, and need to know of any pitfalls that others have experienced, or if there is anything specific that needs to be done in order to make it a smooth transition.

All valid input greatly appreciated.

V/r,

^_^

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running two CF10 servers plus my local development machine on Java 1.8.0_25 without issue.  Just make sure you have at least update 11 or 12 applied before you switch CF10 (one of those added support for Java 8).

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Carl,

Thanks for the heads-up!  I'm not sure which CF Server we'll be using, but if it's CF10, I'll be sure to let the PTB know that it needs -MINIMUM- update 11 or 12 to support Java 8.  Everything else working well, on that??

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AH.. one more question, Carl Von Stetten‌!

I mentioned what you said about CF10 and update 11/12 to our CFAdmin, and she asked a question I had not thought of:  What if Sandbox is turned on?  Does it still work?

We have had issues with Java and Sandbox (when Sandbox is on, we cannot access Verity or Solr collections under CF9, and cannot access Solr under our DEV CF10's if Sandbox is on, starting around Java 1.7 update 21.)

Thanks!

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, it’s update 14 that adds support of Java 8 (aka 1.8) to CF10 (and update 3 for CF11). For details, see:

http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/which-jdk-is-supported-with-coldfusion-9-10-and-11

Also, as for CF running with Java 8, besides those who may have changed the setup for CF to use it after those updates above, note that CF11 as downloaded now and the past month or so has come with Java 8 preinstalled and preconfigured. I work with many (many) people who are running CF11 in production configured that way and I’ve not run into any problems that were shown to be due to Java 8 itself.

(That said, do beware if you may see people complaining of it, to make sure that they are running one of the supported updates of CF 10 or 11.)

Finally, as for your saying you “cannot access Solr under our DEV CF10's if Sandbox is on”, is this different from the problem you had with Solr that we solved when the sandbox was setup correctly (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1673581)?

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the correction Charlie!  I honestly couldn't remember off the top of my head.  Should have looked it up (dohhh)!

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sure. No problem. The efforts are appreciated!

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

charlie@carehart.org wrote:

Finally, as for your saying you “cannot access Solr under our DEV CF10's if Sandbox is on”, is this different from the problem you had with Solr that we solved when the sandbox was setup correctly (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1673581)?

Hi, Charlie!

I believe that it is different.  I asked her if she had it set up the way that you pointed out to me, and she indicated that it was, indeed, set up exactly that way.  She did postulate that the issue might be a different security issue, as the servers, here, have an 800 page STIG that they need to comply with.  So, even though it's working on my DEV system, it may not work in production just because of the extensive STIG.    Now.. how do we figure out exactly what is causing this issue?  Right now, no one really knows.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you have concluded for now “Right now, no one really knows” (about your Solr/Sandbox issue), I’ll just say that when you hit an intractable problem like this, there may be no solution other than to have someone “look over your shoulder” on your server with you.

And as you may know, that’s what I do for a living. I may see things in working with you that you had not considered, not thought to relate in email. It may be something that could be solved quickly, or not. Just can’t tell based on what’s been shared so far. But I generally solve most problems in less than an hour. And I have a satisfaction guarantee, so you won’t pay for time you don’t feel is valuable, even if it took longer.

If you’re interested, check out the consulting page at carehart.org.

(Apologies to any who feel this is a sales pitch. I only make this offer after folks have exhausted other avenues, which include often my having tried to help considerable for free on the forums first.)

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Charlie,

Off the top of my head, I think you're the only person, here, that I _don't_ mind giving a "sales pitch" when trying to assist others, after all other options have been exhausted.

And while I appreciate your offer, the fact is that I work for the US Dept of Defense in a restricted building, and they don't allow ANYone (except maybe the SAs) to have access to any DoD network from outside the building.  And even inside the building, you have to be either a civilian employee, military member, or federal contractor authorized to work here before you can do any kind of work.  So, unfortunately, I cannot commission you to take a shot at troubleshooting this issue. 

But thank you for your wisdom - as always, greatly appreciated.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation