Highlighted

CF11 Fails to start due to Logging issue with an invalid log file

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error gives a filename which is similar to one of our custom log files but not exact case which makes me think it is some kind of setting.  I've tried everything I could think to this point but none worked.  The application which was writing to this log is no longer active.  I don't see any code or configuration settings which would be referencing this log file.  Below is what is written to the error log.  The main error is on line 4 and then it spawns some other errors which are either directly or indirectly related to the first error.  The service ends in a running state but just returns 500 errors for requests.  If you have any suggestions they would be appreciated.

INFO: ColdFusionStartUpServlet: ColdFusion: Starting application services
Nov 17, 2019 6:09:39 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ColdFusionStartUpServlet: ColdFusion: VM version = 25.202-b08
coldfusion.log.LogService$InvalidLogFileException: The specified log File is invalid: transferequiv_uploads.log.
at coldfusion.log.LogService.stopDisabledLogs(LogService.java:792)
at coldfusion.log.LogService.start(LogService.java:168)
at coldfusion.server.CFService.setupLogger(CFService.java:178)
at coldfusion.server.CFService.start(CFService.java:525)

TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CF11 Fails to start due to Logging issue with an invalid log file

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error gives a filename which is similar to one of our custom log files but not exact case which makes me think it is some kind of setting.  I've tried everything I could think to this point but none worked.  The application which was writing to this log is no longer active.  I don't see any code or configuration settings which would be referencing this log file.  Below is what is written to the error log.  The main error is on line 4 and then it spawns some other errors which are either directly or indirectly related to the first error.  The service ends in a running state but just returns 500 errors for requests.  If you have any suggestions they would be appreciated.

INFO: ColdFusionStartUpServlet: ColdFusion: Starting application services
Nov 17, 2019 6:09:39 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ColdFusionStartUpServlet: ColdFusion: VM version = 25.202-b08
coldfusion.log.LogService$InvalidLogFileException: The specified log File is invalid: transferequiv_uploads.log.
at coldfusion.log.LogService.stopDisabledLogs(LogService.java:792)
at coldfusion.log.LogService.start(LogService.java:168)
at coldfusion.server.CFService.setupLogger(CFService.java:178)
at coldfusion.server.CFService.start(CFService.java:525)

TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 17, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an odd one indeed, because:

• I've never heard of CF not starting due to anything to do with log files, even its own let alone one like with that name (transferequiv_uploads.log)
  • i'm not aware of any CF setting that would track the name of log files (especially its own, let alone one like that)

So if I were in your shoes, I'd consider a couple of things:

• if you're running CF as a service, I wonder if you may see more or different details in starting CF from the command line, which you can do (once you stop it as a service) by going to the cfusion/bin folder and running "cfstart"
  • I wonder if you may find what's referring to that file (transferequiv_uploads.log), if you used a tool to search the CF folder, searching all files for any reference to that. If you're in Linux, grep is the obvious tool. If on Windows, I'd NOT recommend the Windows search feature. And while many editors offer file search tools, a much better one I'd recommend is File Locator Lite (free for prod use, and having virtually no impact even if installed on a server). I have blogged about it before, here: https://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2009/12/2/faster_better_file_searching

Let us know what you may find.

/Charlie (server troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0
pwelke LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Charlie.  I had tried some of your suggestions.  I worked with Support and we figured out there were some extra entries in neo-logging.xml that once removed resolved the issue.  I'm looking back at the troubleshooting process because I didn't find that XML file when searching for references to the erroneous filename.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2019 0