• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF11 mail spooling

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently in the progress of moving from a CF9 server to a CF11 server, but have run into a huge performance difference between the two, when sending e-mails.

Our application generates approximately 40,000 e-mails nightly, and spools the messages to disk, for delivery to out mail server.

On the CF9 server, it will spool approximately 20,000 messages in an hour to our mail server, but on the CF11 server, the best I can get

is approximately 800 messages an hour.  Are they any hidden parameters that I can configure to increase the speed of sending mail on

CF11?

Thanks,

Evan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why the difference is so large. Nevertheless, what I can say is: beware, the rate at which Coldfusion spools e-mails is different from the rate at which it sends them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't say for certain why the new version is so slow, but I did notice one thing different in it's behavior.

On the CF9 server, it connects to the mail server, which is running Postfix, and it delivers the message,

it then immediately disconnects.  On CF11, it connects to the same mail server, delivers the message,

then waits for any status messages from the mail server, before disconnecting.

As a work around, I have installed Microsoft's SMTP server, set to smarthost the messages to our

mail server, and I'm now getting about 17,000 messages an hour.  I can see that CF11 is using a newer

version of mail.jar so I assume the newer version is behaving differently.

--Evan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evan,

thanks for sharing your experience. You have touched upon what seems to be a serious performance issue.

As far as I know, the main additions to mail functionality in Coldfusion 11 are in the area of security and encryption. Spooling should perform as it did in Coldfusion 9. Have you compared your mail settings in the Coldfusion 9 Administrator, one by one, with those in the Coldfusion 11 Administrator?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Both mail settings are the same.  The only difference now, is the CF11 is now pointed to 127.0.0.1

instead of the external postfix mail server.  I have require TLS turned on, as well as log outgoing

mail headers.  Everything else is default.

--Evan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation