• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cf11 update 12 : macromedia_drivers not working on Oracle 11g R11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After deploying cf11 update 12, in cf administration > Datasource when testing connexion, I get an error :

SQLException while attempting to connect: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: [Macromedia][Oracle JDBC Driver]No more data available to read..

Then I have replaced macromedia-drivers.jar in lib sub-directory with the one from CF11-update 6 and restarted coldfusion : problem has gone.

I am running CF on a windows 2012 64 bit system and oracle database is also windows 2012 64bit.

I had same issue with updates 8,9,10 and 11.

Why is adobe not fixing such bug ? Should I use other dirver to access oracle database ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pierre, there may be something you're doing (in the DSN config) that could explain why this is happening--and given that we don't hear of this being a universal error, and especially since update 6 is from Aug 2015. And I see now that you opened a bug about this in 2016 (https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/CF-4162547​), though it's gotten no votes or comments. That may further indicate it's a problem unique to you (could still be a bug, if you're doing things that are supported but somehow rather unique),

So help us help you: What are the characteristics of the failing DSN(s)? Are you naming an SID or not (there are different ways Oracle can be setup to require it or not). Is there any "query string" you've added (see the field of that name in the DSN settings)? And are there any other settings in the "advanced settings" you might have enabled? Blob? Clob? What sizes?

And here's a tip: did you try creating any new Oracle DSNs while the updated JAR was in place? I wonder if it would have worked while the others did not. I realize your focus may have been the failing ones, so you did what you needed to get them working.

If you have time to try it, I wonder if you put back the updated jar, restarted, and created a new DSN with no non-default settings, would that work? If so, then the question would be what was different between that and the ones you have.

Hope that helps. If nothing else, if anyone else finds this post and has the problem, add your vote to his bug (if not also a comment here).

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for caring about this issue.

Characteristics of DSN :

· select « Oracle » as driver type

· DSN name

· SID name

· IP adress and standard port 1521

· Username and password

That’s it. I have no special configuration in « advanced settings », no added « connection string ».

I have just created a new configuration like this and again I get the same error :

Connection verification failed for data source: neswDSN2

java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: [Oracle JDBC Driver]No more data available to read.

The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLNonTransientConnectionException: [Oracle JDBC Driver]No more data available to read.

Then if I just replace macromedia_drivers.jar en cfusion/lib with an old one (cf11 update 6 or older), it works fine new DSN just created as the others.

Regards

Pierre

De : charlie@carehart.org

Envoyé : mercredi 17 mai 2017 21:32

À : Pierre THES

Objet : cf11 update 12 : macromedia_drivers not working on Oracle 11g R11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit

cf11 update 12 : macromedia_drivers not working on Oracle 11g R11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit

created by charlie@carehart.org<https://forums.adobe.com/people/charlie%40carehart.org> in ColdFusion Server Administration - View the full discussion<https://forums.adobe.com/message/9521291#9521291>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying it, Pierre. So first that proves it's not about something in your DSNs, and I know your contention is that this is an Adobe bug fixed by the replacement of that jar.

But again since no one else seems to have the problem (that I've seen the past nearly 2 years since that update 6), some may argue that the onus is still on you to prove that it IS a CF problem. You may disagree, perhaps vehemently. But if you do want to confirm it, you can. And I want to explain here that you can do it, really in just a matter of minutes, even on the same box. Let me elaborate:

1) I'd propose that the next step would be for you to implement another CF instance--in your environment--trying to connect to that same Oracle server. (You could also try it elsewhere connecting to some other Oracle--and just as there is the free Trial or Development version of CF you can try, there is also a free version of Oracle you can use. I just think it best to try where you are, if that's significant.)

As for how to do that, on the same box, there are two ways (neither of which should necessarily impact the other instance, if it may be production), one of which may be a surprise to some readers.

2) First, if you may have the Enterprise edition of CF, it's just a matter of minutes to use its Enterprise Manager>Instance Manager page to create and start another instance. (CF Standard does not support this.) Then launch its admin, add the datasource there and confirm if it works. (It will be at the same level of update as your main/cfusion instance.) If it works, then you could update just THAT instance and confirm whether or not the DSN breaks after that update. If it does, that will be more clear confimation that it's about the update...

However, since the new instance propagates settings from the main/cfusion instance, you COULD be bringing into that something that is impacting this. And they do both run under the auspices of the main \coldfusion11 directory where perhaps there lurks some root cause issue.

3) So second, the other way to go is to use the free CommandBox project. I know many don't understand it, or they may misconstrue it, but bottom line it could (fr free, in a matter of minutes) download and spin up a complete, clean, unadulterated CF instance (whether CF11 as in your case, or any CF or Lucee edition), running right alongside your current CF instance. They are not connected or related in any way at all and the new instance will not conflict with the existing, running one.

It will launch and open your browser to a port that only this instance listens on, and it will have a CF admin of its own (with a default password of commandbox), and you could again create and test your DSN. (FWIW, the CF instance will be running as the free Developer edition, by default.)

For more on CommandBox, especially this aspect of using it to spin up CF instances, see this introductory post from early 2016 (despite the title of the post, it's no longer in beta):

http://www.codersrevolution.com/blog/commandbox-multi-server-support-now-in-beta-v310

4) About that downloaded CF version, it will also by default be the very latest (so will be CF11 update 12), though you can specify different variants within even a given CF (or Lucee) version. My point though, for you, is that if the default CF11 download shows the DSN test to now work, then you know that the problem is NOT in the updates (as it's the latest update), and it would seem to suggest that there's something in your CF setup that's really at issue (especially if this is on the same machine, but it's NOT relying on your current CF implementation in any way).

But if the DSN test does NOT work, you could (as with any CF instance/admin) uninstall the updates and try whatever level you want, or as before you could play with the jars like you did (the commandbox docs explain where the install ends up and how to find the typical CF folders like lib, logs, etc.)

5) Again, I realize this all may seem "too much to ask", but I think it's a cool option that anyone reading this should at least know about and consider for a case like this. We are often in a position where we feel that "the CF we have is the only CF we can have" of that version, but commandbox helps solve this, and of course its freedom to get and spinup any CF instance is very cool for all kinds of reasons.

Hope that's helpful.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Charlie,

Thanks again for helping me in issue !

I have CF Enterprise Edition, so I have setup a new instance and unfortunately, I get same issue on the new instance.

So next step for me is to try with a new cf installation either from setup program or as you mentionned from CommandBox project.

I will let you know what I see.

Best regards

Pierre

De : charlie@carehart.org

Envoyé : jeudi 18 mai 2017 23:24

À : Pierre THES

Objet : cf11 update 12 : macromedia_drivers not working on Oracle 11g R11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit

created by charlie@carehart.org<https://forums.adobe.com/people/charlie%40carehart.org> in ColdFusion Server Administration - View the full discussion<https://forums.adobe.com/message/9523857#9523857>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation