Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF2018 Enterprise edition on Windows 2019 - Error

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have installed ColdFusion 2018 Enterprise edition on Windows 2019 server.

I have configured the ColdFusion Admin for server settings successfully and also installed an application which is running successfully on our Windows 2016 server, however on this new server I am not able to run the application , I get an error , Please let me know how to fix this error.

Thanks

IQ

"

HTTP Error 500.0 - Internal Server Error The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.

Most likely causes:
  • IIS received the request; however, an internal error occurred during the processing of the request. The root cause of this error depends on which module handles the request and what was happening in the worker process when this error occurred.
  • IIS was not able to access the web.config file for the Web site or application. This can occur if the NTFS permissions are set incorrectly.
  • IIS was not able to process configuration for the Web site or application.
  • The authenticated user does not have permission to use this DLL.
  • The request is mapped to a managed handler but the .NET Extensibility Feature is not installed.

"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, first you want to make sure there is no error on the CF side. A 500 error could be in either IIS or CF. See the coldfusion cfusion/logs/application.log at the time you get that error.

Second, you need to have configured CF so that your IIS site(s) are talking to CF. Have you done that? the "web server configuration tool" in the Adobe menu in Windows? Or in the coldfusion folder cfusion/runtime/bin as wsconfig.exe? That should be "run as admin", and is used to connect either a site or "all sites" to CF. If you have not done that, that may be all that is missing. If you HAVE done that, then there could be config problems that the tool has not rectified. That could be very hard to debug here via back and forth, but it could be solved quickly in an online remote consulting session with me, if that interests you. More at carehart.org/consulting.

One other thing: when you run that tool, it presumes to create a 64-bit connector (though there is an option on the screen to have it create a 32-bit one). If you let it be 64-bit, then all may be well (regarding the above) except for one thing: the IIS app pool (for the failing site) may be set to be a 32-bit app pool. See the IIS "application pools" section, and choose the app pool used by the site in question. Right-click and and choose "advanced settings". Near the top will be a screen for whether enable 32-bit is true or false. If it's true, try switching it to false. If the site now works, then that's your problem.

Finally, you may have only recently added that site, and you may say you did NOT a) create that app pool) or b) change its 32-bit setting. First, note that a new site gets a new app pool by default (since IIS 8). And that new app pool takes on settings that are configured in the "app pool defaults" feature, on the top right of the "app pools" page in IIS. If you click that, you may see that IT was set to 32-bit. If you have no OTHER need for new sites to be 32-bit, change that to false, and now future sites you create won't suffer the same problem.

Let us know how that goes. And if either it still does not work, or you feel lost, remember I could guide you through this, solving it all likely in mere minutes. But as you can tell, I am not "just here to sell my services". I have offered plenty that should help you on your own, as I do in all replies I offer here.

(A challenge is that you may have found still other answers here or elsewhere on the web that seemed to be offering "the solution you needed", but were incomplete. I realize my answers are long, and some hate that. But sometimes you need more info to really confirm the right problem and understand the right solution.)

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your useful suggestions, I never consider these length infact as always these are very useful. I have already tried all your suggestions yet the site does not seem to work, infact this time it seems to suggest a specific error  "Cannot add duplicate collection entry of type 'add' with unique key attribute 'name' set to 'cfcHandler'",

I tried commenting these lines one by one to see if this helps, but it does not seem to work.  Thanks for all your help.

Regards

IQ

Config ErrorConfig File

Cannot add duplicate collection entry of type 'add' with unique key attribute 'name' set to 'cfcHandler'
   \\?\C:\inetpub\wwwroot\eS\web.config
Requested URLPhysical PathLogon MethodLogon User
   http://localhost:80/eS
   C:\inetpub\wwwroot\eS
   Not yet determined
   Not yet determined

Config Source:
   24:         <handlers>
   25:             <add name="cfcHandler" path="*.cfc" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\ColdFusion2018\config\wsconfig\1\isapi_redirect.dll" resourceType="File" preCondition="bitness64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if commenting out that cfchandler did not make that error go way, then I'm afraid what you've shared is not enough info to go on.

I really think we would solve your problem in 15 mins in a remote consulting session, whereas trying to solve it via back and forth will take much longer, as there is much to assess and explain if you were to try to do it on your own.

Indeed, I think we would find that there is more than just this one problem, which reflects what I suspect is a combination of "things you've tried" (or perhaps others before you) that have things in a non-working state. But I see it all the time and expect I could get it all fixed quickly--kind of like going to a dentist, but a lot less painful for you! 🙂

If interested, you can select a time from my online calendar, at https://www.calendly.com/carehart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charlie, would definitely like to have a remote session for future issues. This time the issue is resolved by doing the following steps,

1) I deleted the web.config, checked the default documents in IIS found that the default.cfm was included but index.cfm was not there, so added this file in IIS default documents section. 2) Then reconfigured CF webserver using the tool provided by CF, restarted IIS and tried, this time it worked.

Thanks again for all your useful suggestions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great to hear that you solved it. And yep, I suspect it would be rather easy. But not how the error you reported did not suggest the problem was with the default document. But again, I knew that with assessement of that web.config (and/or the IIS UI, and/or the central applicationhost.config), the problem would have been found and resolved.

And yep, just deleting the web.config is AN option, but it should be done with care (in case there is anything else in it), but I assume you did that--or it's just too late, but seems to have worked well for you, so far.

As for reconfiguring the CF web server connector, that may or may not have been needed. Certainly it should not if the problem was indeed only the duplicate default document. But maybe there was indeed still more, and going that wsconfig was the solution. Again, we'd have determined if it was needed and would have done it.

One last thing: you may want to check to see if anyone had "tweaked" the workers.properties in the old connector. CF would implement a new one with default values. Look in the backup folder within CF's config/wsconfig directory, and find the backup taken when you did this reconfiguration. Look at the workers.properties there, and compare it to the current one. It's only several lines, so easily done.

If there were changes in that backup, you should consider putting them into the newly created connector. Do be careful about it (I'd save my own backup of that file before changing it), and you'd need to restart IIS for the changes to take effect. Be prepared to restore the backup you just made, if things go amiss.

Again, these are all things I'd have led you through, and as you can see, I am only skimming the surface. I'd never have been able to easily lead you through all that here, as each step could have led to a different one, with different details needed for each.

Again, glad it's all working (at least so it seems).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation