• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFBuilder 2018 "welcome page" STILL has VERY dated content in "ColdFusion News"

Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When folks launch CFBuilder for the first time, a "welcome page" appears. Sadly, on the right is a "ColdFusion News" feed that has info from 2014, about ColdFusion Splendor (the codename for CF11) and Thunder (the codename for CF Builder 3).

Can we PLEASE get someone on the builder team to correct that? And what's odd is that the 3rd item (as I see it) is indeed a link to THIS beta. Even if this was a reflection of those being the only 3 most recent items in some feed, why does it not show the MOST recent at the top? Then some may be more forgiving of the older items that would now be "below it".

But really, there ought to be new content "fed" to that feed. If someone on the CF team knows (or if anyone else knows) where it's getting its feed, perhaps some of us could contribute content to get more recent content. 🙂

BTW, some notice that you can click a button at the bottom of that screen to "don't show again" (or you can turn it off in Window>Preferences>ColdFusion>Startup), which is why perhaps few notice or complain of the dated info, but 4 years later it's worth addressing before the final release.

Finally, the "recent files" on the left of the welcome page are also pretty dated (and by no means, "recent". These refer to riaforge extensions for CFB. It seems this is also a curated list, since the link to riaforge there is to all CFB extensions, but this lists here just 3: Apptacular (which has not been updated since 2010), Extension Builder (not since 2009), and VarScoper (2015, at least). Someone ought to test if those even work with CFB2016, let alone 2016. Indeed, only one other of the 60+ CF extensions pointed to in the riaforge extensions is more recent than 2015, so I really wonder if it's worth keeping that list there at all.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

CF-Builder_new_welcome_page

Thanks for the feedback ! This is the new ACB welcome page which we are working on .  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CF-Builder_new_welcome_page

Thanks for the feedback ! This is the new ACB welcome page which we are working on .  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, Suresh. And I suspect that update to the look and feel has been in the works for a while. It will be nice.

But given what I write about the extensions, might you guys want to revisit whether it makes sense to make the links to them so prominent? I'd think it more important to link to info about keeping CFB updated, or resources about some key features in the tool, things that people miss and really could benefit from (whereas the extensions, well, not so much sadly).

Finally, I see you call it "ACB". That's a first for me. 🙂 Does that stand for "Adobe CF Builder"? Really, why not just "CFB"?

Of course, I know that folks outside of CF refer to CF as "ACF" (to clarify that they mean Adobe CF, as in contrast to say Lucee...though really, there is no non-Adobe "CF", so the "A" seems redundant. Lucee and CF seem distinct enough names!). Anyway, my point is that there really is no non-Adobe "CF Builder", either (well, CFEclpse is a cousin, but again its name too stands clearly distinct from CFBuilder)

So I guess I'm asking: why would you, an Adobe person, refer to CFB as ACB? I think that would be far more confusing than helpful here in the forums and portal, which is why I'm asking about it instead of just ignoring it like most would. 🙂

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie, just ignore them, like most would :-). I just installed CFB 3.1 and the "Welcome" page has everything you mentioned unchanged (besides, the "Thunder" link cannot be resolved at all). I really hope that this kind of extreme sloppiness is not to be expected in the product itself (or, probably, it's just a wishful thinking on my part).  I have a feeling, that if they continue ignoring common sense like this, the last (and the only "fresh") news on the right side of the page will be an announcement that Lucee has purchased ColdFusion from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mtaich1  wrote

I have a feeling, that if they continue ignoring common sense like this, the last (and the only "fresh") news on the right side of the page will be an announcement that Lucee has purchased ColdFusion from Adobe.

IMHO, that would be _awesome_.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation