• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFChart legend with bar chart

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple chart based off a simple query. I am trying to display the various value labels in the legend. If I set the chart type to bar, the legend just shows "Series 1" as the label. If I change the chart type to pie, then everything displays fine. Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? 

The query gives me output like 

COUNTDAMAGE
1757Complete
2248Landscape
31060N/A
4938Partial
5318Smoke
61464Unknown

My chart definition is:

<cfchart format="html" xaxistitle="Damage" yaxistitle="Calamities" style="blue" showlegend="true" chartheight="400" chartwidth="500" title="Damage Distribution" labelformat="number" >
<cfchartseries type="bar" query="damage" itemcolumn="damage" valuecolumn="count" colorlist="##b7e1f3,##189aa8,##aad356,##f9c908,##f35844" >
</cfchartseries>
</cfchart>

The result is:

TransoniqHacker_0-1616447955780.png

I would have expected each color to be in the legend with the label for that data (Complete, landscape, partial, etc). If all I change in the code is type="pie" for the char series I get this:

TransoniqHacker_1-1616448069243.png

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

TOPICS
cfchart

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TransoniqHacker ,

You've done nothing wrong. I think that that is how ColdFusion displays bar charts. 

Your bar chart consists of just 1 chartseries. Hence, the legend consists of just one item. If you don't define the label, ColdFusion will use the default label, "Series".

To make the chart more relevant to your case, add the attribute label="Damage" to the cfchartseries tag. However, as I have explained, there will still just be 1 item in the Legend.

Nevertheless, there is a trick you can use to get 1 legend item for every bar: split the query data into 6 separate chartseries. For example, using query-of-query.

First off, change the name of the column from count to, say, counter. That is because count is a keyword in SQL.

Then proceed as follows:

<cfquery name="damage1" dbType="query">
	select counter 
	from damage
	where damage='Complete'
</cfquery>
<cfquery name="damage2" dbType="query">
	select counter 
	from damage
	where damage='Landscape'
</cfquery>
<cfquery name="damage3" dbType="query">
	select counter 
	from damage
	where damage='N/A'
</cfquery>
<cfquery name="damage4" dbType="query">
	select counter 
	from damage
	where damage='Partial'
</cfquery>
<cfquery name="damage5" dbType="query">
	select counter 
	from damage
	where damage='Smoke'
</cfquery>
<cfquery name="damage6" dbType="query">
	select counter 
	from damage
	where damage='Unknown'
</cfquery>

<cfchart format="html" xaxistitle="Damage" yaxistitle="Calamities" style="blue" showlegend="yes" chartheight="400" chartwidth="500" title="Damage Distribution" labelformat="number" >

<cfchartseries type="bar" query="damage1" itemcolumn="damage" valuecolumn="counter" label="Complete" seriescolor="##b7e1f3">
</cfchartseries>
<cfchartseries type="bar" query="damage2" itemcolumn="damage" valuecolumn="counter" label="Landscape" seriescolor="##189aa8">
</cfchartseries>
<cfchartseries type="bar" query="damage3" itemcolumn="damage" valuecolumn="counter"  label="N/A" >
</cfchartseries>
<cfchartseries type="bar" query="damage4" itemcolumn="damage" valuecolumn="counter" label="Partial" seriescolor="##aad356">
</cfchartseries>
<cfchartseries type="bar" query="damage5" itemcolumn="damage" valuecolumn="counter" label="Smoke" seriescolor="##f9c908">
</cfchartseries>
<cfchartseries type="bar" query="damage6" itemcolumn="damage" valuecolumn="counter"  label="Unknown" seriescolor="##f35844">
</cfchartseries>

</cfchart>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The above is the solution that immediately came to mind. I am sure that, after a search and some thought, you could find a shorter, more efficient solution that uses the underlying ZingCharts engine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation