• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFChart stopped working with ColdFusion (2016 release) Update 10 (release date, 01 March 2019)

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue with CFCHART that I am hoping to get resolved. Back in February I noticed that our cfchart will not produce a chart if the format = png or jpg. Only html format would produce a chart. I came to forums looking for a solution and found this thread (CFCHARTformat=png image not loading on browser ). I had our server admin change the cf chart cache type setting from disk to memory and then voila! - the png and jpg charts started to work as expected. After this most recent release/update it seems the CFCHART is no longer working. After some minor debugging I found that we are back at square one with charts only being generated if the format is HTML. I was thinking maybe changing the cache back to disk and attempt to check permissions to make sure nothing is blocking the CFFILESERVLET Mapping but the issue is that I do no have access to the server/server settings. I will have to communicate with a server admin on the exact steps to take to check these permissions/settings. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this specific issue before? Any insight/advice would be helpful. Thanks!

UPDATE - HERE IS ERROR LOG - HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS

Mar 26, 2019 11:09:05 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke

SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [CfmServlet] in context with path [] threw exception [ROOT CAUSE:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Metaspace

] with root cause

javax.servlet.ServletException: ROOT CAUSE:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Metaspace

ISSUE RESOLVED -

We increased the Metaspace memory and it resolved this issue. This may be an internal bug with Coldfusion. I am very new to Coldfusion development but it seems that this issue should not occur. My biggest concern is changing the setting in CF Administrator settings(under charting) from disk to memory cache. Technically, according to the description of the page, the memory cache should be cleaning/clearing itself. If that is not working then there could be a possible memory leak. I will continue to monitor the situation and update this post with any subsequent findings. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sean,

Could you please post a standalone cfchart code snippet that requires you to change default CF Admin settings in order to render?

Thanks!,

-Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realize this is a post from several months ago, and perhaps Sean ultimately solved his problem, but in case anyone else comes across it, I will note that the fact that he reported a metaspace error indicates that the problem was not likely at all about the cfchart he was doing, but instead was very likley just a matter of CF hitting an artificially low maxmetaspacesize that it sets by default.

I have more detail about how to make such errors go away, once and for all:

https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2020/02/quickly-solve-outofmemory-metaspace-errors/

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation