Highlighted

cfdocument vs cfhtmltopdf

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My website is down after my CF11 migration because the documentation never mentioned how difficult it was to get cfdocument working in CF11 in https.

I never thought such a big change would not be well-documented in the myriad of migration guides I consulted before the migration.

Question:  Does the CF11 cfdocument only work with Word and Powerpoint and all the rest of the cfdocument functionality was transferred into the new cfhtmltopdf tag?

If so, if you were used to enveloping the content you wanted in cfdocument, why does cfhtmltopdf want a source?  Do we have to write the content to some temp file and then call the cfhtmltopdf tag?

Question:  Do you need to have the PDF service running to use cfdocument?

How do you configure this with https?  The standard examples are so vanilla they are unhelpful.

Chuck Beckwith

Correct answer by cbeckwith | Community Beginner

I was finally able to get the cfdocument tag to work after restarting the CF Add-On Services service.

This would have been nice to know as a 'try this first' step to fixing cfdocument.

Chuck

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

cfdocument vs cfhtmltopdf

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My website is down after my CF11 migration because the documentation never mentioned how difficult it was to get cfdocument working in CF11 in https.

I never thought such a big change would not be well-documented in the myriad of migration guides I consulted before the migration.

Question:  Does the CF11 cfdocument only work with Word and Powerpoint and all the rest of the cfdocument functionality was transferred into the new cfhtmltopdf tag?

If so, if you were used to enveloping the content you wanted in cfdocument, why does cfhtmltopdf want a source?  Do we have to write the content to some temp file and then call the cfhtmltopdf tag?

Question:  Do you need to have the PDF service running to use cfdocument?

How do you configure this with https?  The standard examples are so vanilla they are unhelpful.

Chuck Beckwith

Correct answer by cbeckwith | Community Beginner

I was finally able to get the cfdocument tag to work after restarting the CF Add-On Services service.

This would have been nice to know as a 'try this first' step to fixing cfdocument.

Chuck

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 22, 2017 0
Engaged ,
May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We were using ColdFusion 9 when we decided to start using CFExecute w/WKHTMLTOPDF.  CFDocument hasn't been updated to render newer CSS and had many strange bugs regarding fonts GIF, transparency, etc. CF9's CFHTTP couldn't handle newer SSL certs or SNI wildcard certs.

If you are looking for an alternative that supports newer HTML5/CSS3, full web font support, isn't hobbled to a single thread, smaller filesizes, supports a JS timeout, doesn't get negatively impacted w/new CF Updates and doesn't even require ColdFusion, check it out.  (I wrote a basic custom tag and shared it online. ColdFusion, jQuery, iPhone • Generating PDFs using ColdFusion & WKHTMLTOPDF)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 22, 2017 0