• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cfindex fieldboost does nothing - ColdFusion 2018

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The documentation does not list fieldBoost in the list of valid attributes to cfindex, yet further down the page its function is described (see https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/cfml-reference/coldfusion-tags/tags-i/cfindex.html ). It does not seem to have any effect on the cfindex tag. Has fieldBoost been removed (and how can we then boost a particular field) or has the syntax changed (and to what)? This is a ColdFusion 2018 Standard Edition running on Win Server 2016. 

Best, Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using 

<cfindex fieldBoost="title">

or

<cfindex fieldBoost="title:3"> ?

The usual recommendation is to use the second, which includes a weighting factor (3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your answer, I have indeed tried both, but it does not seem to have any effect on the results returned. For instance: first I index without any fieldboost, and a search for "tax" returns this document with "tax" in the title. Then I reindex with "fieldboost:100" and expect the score to be higher, but it is unchanged. Is there perhaps any range limit for the boost value?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: I re-index with fieldBoost="title:100"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fieldBoost="fieldName:100" is the syntax everyone seems to be using. I have never used fieldBoost myself. Having searched exhaustively on the web, I found no official ColdFusion documentation on its usage.

After looking at Solr websites I now begin to wonder whether the syntax ColdFusion developers have been using is wrong.

Take the documentation on solr.apache.org, for example. Suppose you have an index containing the field, title. You wish to find a document with "Tax Returns" in the title, but you want "Tax" to be more relevant.

Then you can boost the term "Tax". You do this by means of the caret symbol ^ followed by a boost factor (a number). Hence,

FieldBoost="Tax^6 Returns"

I am curious whether this will work. Let us know after you try.

In answer to your question about size-limit, I think there is no limit to how large the boost number can be. It is a relative factor, with default value 1. So "Tax^6 Returns" means that "Tax" will be 6 times more relevant in the search than "Returns".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The official documentation surely is sparse to put it mildly. What you suggest looks like something you would do when searching rather than when indexing. My case is, I am indexing a database, there is a column "keywords" and I want entries to get a boost for the terms in the "keywords" column. In any case the fieldBoost="keyword^6" throws a syntax error, only the version with the comma is accepted. I am beginning to think the fieldboost only works for the Data Import Handler as described  here: https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/developing-applications/accessing-and-using-data/solr-search-supp... I am using the old method (querying the database, then indexing the query). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing that. So, to confirm, the notation for boosting when indexing is indeed fieldboost="first_t:1,second_t:2".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation