Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change coldfusion 2021 Installation directory name

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering can the actual folder name where coldfusion 2021 installed "ColdFusion" folder be changed to something else for example "coldfusion2021"?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean after installing? I would think that you'd only have to change it in one or maybe two places, but it might depend on what version of CF 2021 you've installed (integrated vs J2EE).

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be very cautious. You'd need to make sure there are no references to the name in any config files within that cf folder or subfolders. And if you told cf to create a service, you'd need to edit that. And if you ran the wsconfig, you'd need to edit the files it modified in iis or apache, to name a few things off the top of my head. 

So, not trivial, no. But I understand that someone may wish to change it. I've not seen a post offering the definitive list of what to watch out for. This may become that. 🙂 

Finally fwiw, the cf installer (including 2021) has always included the version number in the  folder name offered during installation, so it seems in your case someone modified it then.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'd just uninstall and reinstall the connectors before I started manually editing config files. I forgot about those. Yecch.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appologize for not giving more information, the is the brand new setup (before installing), I literally just unzipped the .zip folder and notice the home folder is ColdFusion and it did not have the version year. So I did not run the installer yet at this point.

$ unzip ColdFusion2021.zip

Archive: ColdFusion2021.zip
creating: ColdFusion/
creating: ColdFusion/jre/
creating: ColdFusion/jre/bin/

I renamed this folder to "coldfusion2021" then followed the instructions here https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/using/install-coldfusion-2021.ug.html to install it. 

It sould like renaming the folder before installation is OK.

I hate to ask subquestions, but do you know why its still required to install it as root?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, OK. That's very different. BTW, the new zip install approach is new for 2021. We'd have no reason to presume you use it, but if you're new to installing cf, you would have no reason to think to tell us that.

So yes, as long as you do that rename before running the cfinstall step, it would SEEM that renaming the folder would be OK. But then it's also possible that that script and other aspects of that form of deployment WILL presume the ColdFusion folder name.

Care to explain why you feel compelled to rename it? If only for curiosity sake, let us know how it goes.

Finally you mention running that install as root. (First, you didn't mention being on Linux. Can be important to clarify.) The root permission would seem to be because the cf installer (either type) implements changes that require that privilege.

That's more obvious with the full installer, which presumes to create the cf folder in the opt folder. Obviously with the zip approach, YOU pick WHERE it extracts to, and can put it someplace your account can access.

I suspect it may be about the step in the install script where it would offer to setup a service for running cf all the time.

So help us out: is this just a local dev implementation or a planned production one?

Btw, these are indeed all interesting matters to understand, with this new install approach. I hadn't seen anyone else consider it yet. I'll be interested to see what we learn. (I'm writing from my phone, so can't just try things with you.)  

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Charlie,

Sorry for the late response, its been VERY busy.

We are on Linux, yes. When the new version comes out, we put it the folder with version name, side by side with the old versions. Then we just make configuration changes so everything (apache, services etc) points to new version. The reason we do this is if we have problems we can just reverse config to the previous version or look how something was configured. Ultimate reason is we have 15 year old apps so we want to make sure those are working.

Cf2018 full installer had the silent.properties file and where we were able to specify install location. CF2021 zip was pretty small, I was hoping just to extract it, use silent props to pass in to cfinstall.sh and that's it. Then we pick what modules to install. So this is dev, but we'll do this in prod if there is not issues.

The reason I like it its very small I we get to pick what to install ad-hoc.

Bty is the process still the same when installing the mod_jk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation