• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cold Fusion - Remove characters from a string

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon all. I am working on a process that pulls in lines from a file one at a time. Each string is basically a list of tilde delimited values. Some of these values can vary in length or be NULL. I need to remove a few of those tildes with NULL values between them. For instace, my string may look something like the line below. I need to remove all but one of the tildes in that group at the end.

I have worked with ListDeleteAt() and tried to hit particular position number but that didn't quite work the way I'd hoped. I also worked with RemoveChars() a bit but those tildes are a different spot in each line. I am currently using the following but there may be a string of NULLs before the group I need to remove:

<cfset row = replace(row,"~~~~~~~~~","~","ONE")>

Any help would be appreciated. 

MEPMD01~2POOP519~03092019113800PM~6480081580~~~1224714818389~OK~E~KWH~~000015~48~03092019124500AM~00~0.3414~00~0.3396~00~0.1182~00~0.0552~00~0.069~00~0.0642~~~~~~~~~00~0.0606~00~0.081

TOPICS
Advanced techniques , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

REreplace() will do it.

<cfset thisStr = REreplace(thisStr,"~+","~","all") />

HTH,

^ _ ^

UPDATE:  I'll explain.  It's a regular expression replace.  ~+ means "one or more tilde"; when it finds a tilde, it replaces it with a tilde; if it finds several tilde, it replaces them all with a tilde.  "all" scope means the entire string.

UPDATE2:  If you are concerned about efficiency, you can have it replace _ONLY_ when two or more are consecutive.

<cfset thisStr = REreplace(thisStr,"~{2,}","~","all") 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REreplace() will do it.

<cfset thisStr = REreplace(thisStr,"~+","~","all") />

HTH,

^ _ ^

UPDATE:  I'll explain.  It's a regular expression replace.  ~+ means "one or more tilde"; when it finds a tilde, it replaces it with a tilde; if it finds several tilde, it replaces them all with a tilde.  "all" scope means the entire string.

UPDATE2:  If you are concerned about efficiency, you can have it replace _ONLY_ when two or more are consecutive.

<cfset thisStr = REreplace(thisStr,"~{2,}","~","all") />

{2,} means "two or more".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for that. I looked at the REreplace() function but wasn't sure of the syntax that would work. I'll see what I can do with this. This puts me on a great path. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.  Glad to help.  And if what I offered turns out to be the correct answer, please mark my response as such, so that it can help others who might face the same issue.  If not, then let me know and I'll help as best I can.

If you are not familiar with Regular Expressions, they are definitely worth learning.  I know only a fraction of what they can do, but even that small amount has paid off in buckets.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. Below is the syntax I wound up using and this works perfectly. Thank you again so much. Have a great weekend.

<cfset row = ReReplace(row,"~{4,}","~","ONE")>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for marking my answer as correct.  Have a great weekend.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation