• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cold Fusion Studio 3.1 (yes, stop laughing) question

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Allaire's old CF Studio 3.1 ever since I started using CF in 1995. I love it. It's simple. It's perfect. All of the sudden, my mouse no longer can highlight/copy/paste inside of it. Nothing is wrong with the mouse, although I uninstalled and reinstalled it. I can highlight/copy/paste in all other applications, and have had no problem in the past. I'm using Windows 10, however have not recently installed any service packs or any other major changes. There is simply no discernible reason why the mouse can't highlight text. Even more confusing, the mouse *does* work on the toolbars.  And yes, I did uninstall and reinstall CF Studio. No luck.

So.

Rather than beat my head against a wall, I decided to give Adobe ColdFusion Builder 2016 a try. It has a million features I'll never need, and missing some crucial ones:

No "Save All" icon

files that have been changed simply have a little "x" next to them, rather than a red highlight

every file has an annoying Toolbar at the top taking up precious screen real estate (you can close it, but it comes back every bleeping time you re-open a file)

the old shortcut F3 for Find Next has been replaced with Ctrl-K

when you search for a string, then click on a filename that matches it, you aren't taken to that spot in the code

the Indent and Unindent feature is gone (you've got to be kidding me... this is an absolute deal-breaker)

Urgh. If Adobe can fix the issues above, I'll happily pay $299 for a key. Does everybody else here use Builder 2016? Granted, I've looked at it for 10 minutes, but in its current state, it seems not a viable option. Are there any better alternatives?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldnt say those things need "Fixing".

You cannot expect to go from a 20 year old piece of software and have it all work exactly the same. You cannot really expect to go from any IDE to another and expect it to work the same.

Coldfusion can be developed in many IDEs. You need to determine what it is about the existing IDE you use that you need to keep.

Personally using Sublime Text is enough for me to do everything I need, but if you need specific features to CF Builder then you have to get used to the rest of the "features".

Hotkeys change and ways of using IDEs change, some times for the easier. Highlighting blocks of text and just using TAB to indent or SHIFT-TAB to unindent seems much more intuitive then having other shortcuts. A lot of other current IDEs use this function as well so its all intuitive

CF Builder is built on Eclipse as well which is usually quite customisable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has a happy ending, for me at least. I plugged a new mouse in, had Windows install that. Turned off the computer, yanked the old mouse out, put the new mouse in, turned the computer back on. Voila. Mouse works again inside the editor. What possible gremlins could have conspired to put me through this who knows. If any good comes of it, there's at least a solution now if any of the 13 other humans scattered around the globe still using CF Studio 3.1 have the same issue and google it. You're welcome in advance.

Ah, okay, there's nothing under the Edit dropdown of Builder to indicate that highlighting blocks of code and using TAB  or SHIFT-TAB now replaces CTRL-SHIFT, and CTRL-SHIFT-., but I'm glad it exists. They might want to consider simply adding those to the Edit dropdown, so newbies like me know they exist. Perhaps I'm wrong though, but I thought F3 was a universal "Find Next" shortcut? It is in all my browsers.  Builder does have a Save All shortcut key, but I still think it should have a Save All icon, as well as make documents that have unsaved changes stand out with a red highlight in the filename, rather than a tiny unnoticeable "x". But if nobody else but a dinosaur like me is making those requests, seems unlikely they'll add them. All the best to you, Adobe. And thanks for the response, haxtbh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation