Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 10 Enterprise Lincese

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2014 Nov 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I would like to migrate me ColdFusion 10 Enterprise 2CPU license to a new VMware server. The issue is VMware doesn't support multi core processors, so the server built with 8 processors.

Am I allowed to migrate this ColdFusion license to the new server? Do I need to upgrade my ColdFusion License?

Thanks for your help

Regards

MA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Thanks Carl,

Looks interesting. I checked forum and it support your arguments (supports cores per socket). I will check with the server team and get back to the forum.

Regards

MA

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MA

You will be able to do so. Check ColdFusion 10 End User License Agreement : http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/eula/coldfusion10.html

VJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks VJ,

The clause 3.1.1  explains about the CPU numbers.  The license is directly depend upon the number of CPUs.

As an example,  one  2 CPU  license is  required for a computer with 2 processors (each 4 cores). The issue with VMware that it maps all cores as separate processors! Means the same server will be identified as a 8 processor machine, so requires to obtain a 8 CPU license.  The license agreement doesn't say anything about VMware installations! 

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

MA

3.1.1 Adobe grants Licensee a license to install and use the Software as Production Software on a per-CPU basis as provided in a separate writing. The total number of CPUs of all of the Computers on which the Software operates may not exceed the total number of CPUs separately licensed. For purposes of this License Metric, (a) all CPUs on a Computer on which the Software is installed shall be deemed to operate the Software unless Licensee configures that Computer (using a reliable and verifiable means of hardware or software partitioning) such that the total number of CPUs that actually operate the Software is less than the total number on that Computer, and (b) a CPU shall mean a single, physical chip with the capability of housing multiple processor cores. If Licensee purchases a 2-CPU Production Software license, then each CPU to which it applies such license must reside in the same Computer. In the event that Licensee desires to apply 2-CPU Production Software licenses to Virtual Machines, then (c) for the Standard version of the Software, the number of 2-CPU licenses required shall be the greater of the number of available physical CPUs for all instances of the Software divided by two (any fractions shall be rounded up for purposes of this provision), or (ii) the total number of Virtual Machines on all Computers on which the Software is installed, and (d) for the Enterprise version of the Software, the number of 2-CPU licenses required shall be the number of physical CPUs on which the Software operates divided by two (any fractions shall be rounded up for purposes of this provision).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is VMware doesn't support multi core processors, so the server built with 8 processors.

Can you clarify this?  Assuming you are using VMware vSphere, you can specify number of virtual sockets (roughly equal to a physical CPU) and number of cores per socket (also about equal to physical cores) when you create or modify a virtual machine.  So that shouldn't be an issue.  The real issue is that the EULA has different limitations with what you can do on physical and virtual servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Carl,

Looks interesting. I checked forum and it support your arguments (supports cores per socket). I will check with the server team and get back to the forum.

Regards

MA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation