• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion 10 - Failed to create database

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2012 Oct 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking this error has to do with permissions, but I'm not sure.  I'm not running any custom service accounts to run IIS 7.5 or Coldfusion.  This is some dirt on my server and setup:

Server Product ColdFusion
Version ColdFusion 10,282913
Edition Developer 
Operating System Windows Server 2008 R2 
OS Version 6.1 
Update Level /C:/ColdFusion10/cfusion/lib/updates/chf10000002.jar 
Adobe Driver Version 4.1 (Build 0001) 

JVM Details

Java Version 1.6.0_29  

History of this server:

Had 9.0.1 installed.  Installled CF 10 Beta then uninstalled both 9 and 10 Beta to install 10 final.  Ran into a problem with IIS 7.5 refusing to release some settings somewhere deep beyond web.config files so being it was a dev test server I simply uninstalled IIS 7.5 role and also uninstalled WAS, Wonderful Windows Process Activation Service, feature (if thats what it really is... more like a burden IMO) and deleted C:\ColdfusionX folders and C:\inetpub to purge settings and garbage.  I then rebooted and installed again IIS and WAS.  The previous problem had nothing to do with database stuff, it was the IIS connector for CF 10 not correctly being created and applied by IIS resulting in .cfm files being offered as downloads.

After all the changes I was able to login to CF admin at which time I applied the CF 10 Update 2.  The web server stuff from here on out is pretty much stock install.

I created the directory C:/ColdFusion10/cfusion/db/andHalt/ and then went to datasources to create the Apache Derby Embedded database.

Error from just after attempt to create data source:

Connection verification failed for data source: andHalt

org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedSQLException: Failed to create database 'C:/ColdFusion10/cfusion/db/andHalt/', see the next exception for details.

The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: Failed to create database 'C:/ColdFusion10/cfusion/db/andHalt/', see the next exception for details.

The logs show a tiny bit of detail that didn't assist me in finding a wealth of CF related Google goodies so I come here for more in depth knowledge and because Murphy's Law always nips at my heels I'm always towing in good errors for the people to gawk and awk at

Sun Oct 14 22:58:03 CDT 2012 Thread[Thread-24,5,main] Cleanup action starting

java.sql.SQLException: Failed to create database 'C:/ColdFusion10/cfusion/db/andHalt/', see the next exception for details.

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.newEmbedSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.seeNextException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.createDatabase(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30.<init>(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection40.<init>(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver40.getNewEmbedConnection(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.jdbc.InternalDriver.connect(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver.connect(Unknown Source)

at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCPool.createPhysicalConnection(JDBCPool.java:614)

at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.ConnectionRunner$RunnableConnection.run(ConnectionRunner.java:67)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Failed to create database 'C:/ColdFusion10/cfusion/db/andHalt/', see the next exception for details.

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)

... 13 more

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: The database directory 'C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\db\andHalt' exists. However, it does not contain the expected 'service.properties' file. Perhaps Derby was brought down in the middle of creating this database. You may want to delete this directory and try creating the database again.

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory.getSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.wrapArgsForTransportAcrossDRDA(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.SQLExceptionFactory40.getSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.Util.generateCsSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.handleException(Unknown Source)

... 10 more

Caused by: ERROR XBM0A: The database directory 'C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\db\andHalt' exists. However, it does not contain the expected 'service.properties' file. Perhaps Derby was brought down in the middle of creating this database. You may want to delete this directory and try creating the database again.

at org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.vetService(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.access$600(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService$9.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.createServiceRoot(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.bootService(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.createPersistentService(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.createPersistentService(Unknown Source)

... 10 more

============= begin nested exception, level (1) ===========

java.sql.SQLException: The database directory 'C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\db\andHalt' exists. However, it does not contain the expected 'service.properties' file. Perhaps Derby was brought down in the middle of creating this database. You may want to delete this directory and try creating the database again.

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.wrapInSQLException(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.TransactionResourceImpl.handleException(Unknown Source)

at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.JDBCPool.createPhysicalConnection(JDBCPool.java:614)

at coldfusion.server.j2ee.sql.pool.ConnectionRunner$RunnableConnection.run(ConnectionRunner.java:67)

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: The database directory 'C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\db\andHalt' exists. However, it does not contain the expected 'service.properties' file. Perhaps Derby was brought down in the middle of creating this database. You may want to delete this directory and try creating the database again.

... 15 more

Caused by: ERROR XBM0A: The database directory 'C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\db\andHalt' exists. However, it does not contain the expected 'service.properties' file. Perhaps Derby was brought down in the middle of creating this database. You may want to delete this directory and try creating the database again.

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.vetService(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.access$600(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService$9.run(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.StorageFactoryService.createServiceRoot(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.bootService(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.createPersistentService(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.createPersistentService(Unknown Source)

... 10 more

============= end nested exception, level (1) ===========

============= begin nested exception, level (2) ===========

java.sql.SQLException: The database directory 'C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\db\andHalt' exists. However, it does not contain the expected 'service.properties' file. Perhaps Derby was brought down in the middle of creating this database. You may want to delete this directory and try creating the database again.

... 10 more

============= end nested exception, level (2) ===========

============= begin nested exception, level (3) ===========

ERROR XBM0A: The database directory 'C:\ColdFusion10\cfusion\db\andHalt' exists. However, it does not contain the expected 'service.properties' file. Perhaps Derby was brought down in the middle of creating this database. You may want to delete this directory and try creating the database again.

============= end nested exception, level (3) ===========

Cleanup action completed

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 14, 2012 Oct 14, 2012

Ah heck!  I can't believe how far from the solution I was looking.  Documentation revealed what I needed to do although it honestly should have probably been better handled with better error feedback.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Admin/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbf364104-7fda.html

"Note:  When you add an Apache Derby Embedded data source, ensure that the specified directory does not exist."

Which is a little ridiculous considering a fileOpen dialog is provided which implies just the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2012 Oct 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah heck!  I can't believe how far from the solution I was looking.  Documentation revealed what I needed to do although it honestly should have probably been better handled with better error feedback.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ColdFusion/10.0/Admin/WSc3ff6d0ea77859461172e0811cbf364104-7fda.html

"Note:  When you add an Apache Derby Embedded data source, ensure that the specified directory does not exist."

Which is a little ridiculous considering a fileOpen dialog is provided which implies just the opposite.

I've ran into this problem before in CF 9 awhile back and I'm surprised it still is lurking and that I had forgotten about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't believe I lost an hour tracking down this error.  Thank you for the "Note", it solved my problem.  This was driving me crazy, my setup looked just like the examples that came with the install.  Six years after your post, this is still going on.  I couldn't agree more, this was a little ridiculous.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation