• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 11 Destroyed My Charts

Engaged ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely we can't be the only ones who are disappointed with the newest charting engine in CF11?  Yes, ZingCharts can be cool and the plethora of style options gives us total freedom to build the perfect chart.  However, that is also the root of the problem!  Since CF8, CFCHART has been adequate for our needs.  It produced good looking chart images and was just flexible enough for us to produce what we needed while staying simple enough for us to put together quickly and move on in development.  This has been true up through CF10....

We just installed CF11 on our test server and it has DESTROYED every chart we produce using the same code we've had in place for years.

Custom chart colors: gone.  Readability: hit or miss.  3D angles and depths: changed.  Proper fitting of images in pages: gone.  Legends specifically told to hide: now showing, and showing incorrectly.  Labels: FUBAR.

What the hell?!  Who was in charge of the backward compatibility of this charting engine?  The least that should have been done was to give us a default style similar to the old one.

Again, we liked the simplicity the old engine gave us.  And, while it would be cool to spend some time with the ZingChart Editor creating super awesome charts, we don't have the time to mess with the minutiae of all the little details for these charts.  But it looks like I have no choice.  So, instead of proceeding with our upgrade to CF11 we have to stop and reconfigure hundreds of CFCHART tags!

Here are some examples of our mangled charts that have had NO CODE CHANGES from CF10 to CF11:

CF10CF11
CF10_3dBar.PNGcf11_3dbar.PNG
cf10_3dpie.PNGcf11_3dpie.PNG
cf10_2dline.PNGcf11_2dline.PNG

OK, rant over.  Have to waste time fixing this bullsh*t...

TOPICS
cfchart

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right there with you.  Going from CF9 to CF11 and all my charts are completely destroyed!  Have to completely redo everything before I can move this into production.  Why Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coldfusion has provided a way to convert old xml style sheet of cfchart to the JASON format but doing that also we cannot achieve the old look and feel for charts.Is there any way to include old WebCharts3D http://www.gpoint.com/engine in cf11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sdsinc_pmascari - Do you found any way to fix the cfcharts in CF11 with minimal changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I did not find a way to fix easily.  I've had to go through one by one and fix the charts by using JSON styling.  In the CF Documentation, each attribute that says it requires a "A struct of keys" will accept it.  It has been pure trial and error to get the charts looking somewhat normal again.

The documentation for what struct/JSON is needed can be found here:

http://www.zingchart.com/docs/json-attributes-syntax/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please report this as a bug, including the image as proof.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have submitted several bugs and included the images.  I even had reps from Adobe reach out with offers of help.  But, sadly, after I replied to their original offers I never heard from them again.  Way to follow up, Adobe!

What's more infuriating is most of the bugs I've posted, as well as those I've encountered but were already posted by others, have been listed as "Fixed" in the bugbase.  Yet....there have been no updates for CF released!  So, Adobe, you've supposedly fixed these bugs but you leave us hanging with no solution and no timeframe as to when we might see these fixes?  I long for the old "hotfix" days rather than waiting for big update releases.  Bravo, Adobe.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Can you share the bug numbers, you are referencing to?

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inconvenience?  That's putting it lightly.  We've put off our entire CF11 deployment due to this issue.  It's put us behind for at least 6 months.

Might I also add: these are issues I've run into in trying to FIX the terrible looking charts in the first place!  So, not only is the backward compatibility of CFChart non-existent in CF11, it's filled with bugs that make it impossible to "fix" without completely recoding the way the charts are implemented.

Bugs (not all were submitted by me):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are looking into it.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anit- Do  you come to any conclusion? It's very serious issue and hoping for the help ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a fix, and I am currently testing it. I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news, Anit Kumar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just an fyi,

We tested the fix with two of the users. The hotfix didn't fix the issue. We are currently working on it.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Power to your pencil, Anit Kumar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I add my line to the sad list of destroyed charts,

jus upgraded to CF11

and spent three hours now fixing bad charts, still going...

worst of all seems to be "pie" type, comes out too small if showing legend and/or labels together

big problem also the legend who is thieving out a lot of space which was used for the main chart before

and empty title bordered box showing for non-titled charts

to be fair, however, default styles look pretty good (at least compared to CF8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have old code that I'm having to amend.

Specifically the empty title box with a border showing for non-titled charts and having to remove style="default" too.

I look forward to a hotfix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "title" issue would be fixed soon and the others are being worked upon, as we discuss.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anit

When do you expect a fix for this issue?

No point for us upgrading to CF11 until there is a fix for CFcharts.

Mvh

Dag Pettersen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2014 Oct 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Feel your Pain.  Need a downgrade ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this?  I just discovered that the upgrade to CF11 also destroyed my charts.  Sigh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked Adobe in an email and received this response:

"Cfchart is something we are working on and would update you after consulting with Engg.

[We have] sent a few test cases to Engg to get them fixed. "

I do not know who/what "Engg" is.

So, still waiting.  My opinion is that, the developers got the new CFChart "working" for CF11 but somehow thorough testing for functionality and backward compatibility were totally missed.  How it ever got through BETA testing is a mystery as well.  I think Adobe owes its community an explanation, apology, and some kind of compensation or offer of good faith.

At this point, I'm guessing a hot fix isn't going to be released.  We're probably looking at a major version update before relief.  CF11.1 maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are there any recent updates regarding these issues? We're having the same problem and would like to know the timetable for a resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please apply the pre-release update 3 ColdFusion 11 Update 3 build has been updated — Adobe ColdFusion Blog

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. This helps for testing & development, but I cannot put out a pre-release update to a production server. Any idea of when this will be officially released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation