Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion 11 JVM settings

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wonder if my JVM parameters on Coldfusion 11 are correct. My actual parameters are:

-server -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=192m -XX:+UseParallelGC -Xbatch -Dcoldfusion.home={application.home} -Djava.security.egd=/dev/urandom -Duser.language=en -Dcoldfusion.rootDir={application.home} -Dcoldfusion.libPath={application.home}/lib -Dorg.apache.coyote.USE_CUSTOM_STATUS_MSG_IN_HEADER=true -Dcoldfusion.jsafe.defaultalgo=FIPS186Random -Dorg.eclipse.jetty.util.log.class=org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.JavaUtilLog

Minimum JVM Heap Size is 4096 MB and Maximum JVM Heap Size is 6144 MB.

My server has 2 vCPU and 8 GB RAM.

Yesterday, my Coldfusion server crashed suddenly so I ask you if there is some problem in my actual configuration.

Thank you all.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Hi,

The JVM parameters appear correct. You have modified the install default settings for Minimum JVM Heap Size is 4096 MB and Maximum JVM Heap Size.

Perhaps you would like to consider this value: -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=192m

On 64 bit it is fair to say small. With available memory you could increase that to 512m. It can be a good

idea to configure an initial setting as well as maximum EG:

-XX:MetaspaceSize=312m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m

CF requires a restart to apply that change.

It is good to be aware t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The JVM parameters appear correct. You have modified the install default settings for Minimum JVM Heap Size is 4096 MB and Maximum JVM Heap Size.

Perhaps you would like to consider this value: -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=192m

On 64 bit it is fair to say small. With available memory you could increase that to 512m. It can be a good

idea to configure an initial setting as well as maximum EG:

-XX:MetaspaceSize=312m -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=512m

CF requires a restart to apply that change.

It is good to be aware there are other memory spaces that are present by default in Java 8 64 bit even tho not mentioned in the JVM settings. EG:

-XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=240m

-XX:CompressedClassSpaceSize=1g

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Carl for your solution. I will increase -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize to 512MB as you suggested. I have one more question: if I set other values such as -XX:MetaspaceSize or -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize have I increase physical memory or those values are tailored inside JVM heap size?

Thanks a lot.

Salvatore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Salvatore,

The values for XX:MetaspaceSize or XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize are non heap. That memory will be consumed outside of heap which you have set to initial 4G maximum 6G.

With regard to heap it can sometimes be a good idea to set initial and maximum the same. Some kind of Java monitoring would be needed to know for sure what is best. Let me be clear I am guessing, on a server with 8Gb RAM perhaps initial 4G maximum 4G is better to leave RAM available for non heap.

HTH again, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation