• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion 11 new install - The ColdFusion ODBC Server service is not running or has not been installed.

New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the developer edition on my machine and receive the message, "The ColdFusion ODBC Server service is not running or has not been installed." when trying to add an ODBC datasource in the ColdFusion administrator. I previously used ColdFusion 8 with no problems at all adding ODBC datasources. I uninstalled ColdFusion 8 before installing ColdFusion 11.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Yes, the fix is in the testing phase. We will share the fix soon.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dlally10,

We are aware about the issue. Here is the Bug# 3759846.

We are working on it with priority.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anit,

I added the following comment on 3759846.  Just also noting the comment here as it contains some workarounds.

Issue #1) CF11's C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\neo-drivers.xml has 20002 (CF10's ODBC Server port) for both MSAccess and ODBCSocket.

Workaround #1) Open that file and replace all 20002 with 20004 (CF11's ODBC Server port).

Issue #2) CF11's Settings Migration, Datasources page and CAR Deploy feature all write 20002 to C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\neo-datasource.xml for ODBC DSNs.

Workaround #2) Open that file and replace all 20002 with 20004.

Restart CF after editing those files.

Issue #3) Creating CF11 ODBC DSN fails if CF10's ODBC Server isn't running. (same issue regardless if CF10 was installed or not prior to installing CF11)

Workaround #3) Noted in description for this ticket (install CF10 w/ ODBC support, then create the CF11 ODBC DSN, then stop CF10's ODBC service).

Ticket 3492574 fixed #2 for CF10-only. So #2 again exists in CF11. During Splendor Beta, I added a comment on 3492574 noting this - but there was no reply.

Issue #4) (unresolved ticket 3492620) 64-bit CF11 still requires same-named 32-bit "System DSN" to be manually registered w/ Windows using C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. (the "Unable to update the NT registry. Variable DRIVERPATH is undefined." error indicates CF didn't successfully register the DSN as 32-bit - tho the 64-bit registration succeeds)

Issue #5 and #6) (unresolved tickets 3492580 and 3492608) ODBC DSN creation (#5) and deletion (#6) fail in non-cfusion instances. (3492608 has workaround for #5)

Hopefully this port issue can be fixed in a future-proof way. And hopefully CF12 can properly register ODBC DSNs w/ Windows as the correct bitness.

I'm unable to view 3029781. Can this ticket please be made public?

Thanks!,

-Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

I appreciate your time and efforts describing the various aspects. We will look into them.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anit,

Very cool, thanks!

-Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2014 Aug 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anit,

I am having the same problem with CF11.  It says CF ODBC not installed.  Can you please send me the hotfix?

Regards, John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I didn't get a response to this thread nor did I get a response to the PM I sent. Instead I sent an email to cf.install@adobe.com and they responded back to me within 30 minutes with the hotfix. If for some reason you don't hear back from them, reach out to me here and I'll send it to you.

Brandon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We discovered the same issue today as well trying to setup CF11 on a machine that has CF9 & CF10 installed on it and then tried to add Access DBs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the work around in the article of starting the ODBC services of CF10 which was offline and that let me add the resources.  However now they all fail to load however.

Error Executing Database Query.

[Macromedia][SequeLink JDBC Driver][SequeLink Server]The specified data source is not defined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leith,

The workaround will not work for ColdFusion 11. We are working on the fix.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update.  Is there an ETA for the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the fix is in the testing phase. We will share the fix soon.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send me a pm with your contact details and we will send you the hotfix to try.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hotfix Anit provided me for testing fixed the issue in our environment.  I was able to both add new Access datasources as well as use them in code.  Of note if you added datasources by enabling CF10's ODBC services you must delete them from inside of CF11 and re-add them as they are incorrectly built.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I run into the same problem I woud appreciate to receive a notification about how to get the hotfix to.

Regards

winfried kamps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 25, 2014 May 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi winfried,

Please send me a pm with your contact details and we will send you the hotfix to try.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day, Anit Kumar

thanks for contacting me. I confess, I don't know what a pm is, but mij

windows 8.1

member creative cloud

CF 11 server developer edition as intended for local development in

combination with Dreamweaver.

Anit Kumar Panda schreef op 25/05/2014 13:38:

>

Coldfusion  11 new install - The ColdFusion ODBC Server service

is not running or has not been installed.

created by Anit Kumar Panda

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/Anit_Kumar> in /ColdFusion/ - View

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6407612#6407612>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems. pm is personal message. Don;t worry. I have already sent you an email with the hotfix and instructions.

dewinfried wrote:

Good day, Anit Kumar

thanks for contacting me. I confess, I don't know what a pm is, but mij

windows 8.1

member creative cloud

CF 11 server developer edition as intended for local development in

combination with Dreamweaver.

Note:- I have edited your post and deleted personal information.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anit Kumar Panda

Thank you for providing me with the hotfix.

I applied the two files as suggested.

Having restarted the coldfusion services I was able to start the

procedure to create a DSN.

I was able to chose ms access as driver and to browse to the database file.

Unfortunately after submitting the selected variables, a red error

message occured :

>>Unable to update the NT registry. Variable DRIVERPATH is undefined.<<

and I had to cancel the DSN.

After that the new DSN was listed but the verification resulted in the

>>

Connection verification failed for data source: neg

java.sql.SQLException: [SequeLink JDBC Driver][ODBC

Socket]internal error: The specified DSN contains an architecture

mismatch between the Driver and Application

The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: [SequeLink

JDBC Driver][ODBC Socket]internal error: The specified DSN contains an

architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

<<

So far my experience with the patched cf11 server.

Maybe I should mention that my database file is in the old microsoft

format .mdb

Kind regards

winfried

Anit Kumar Panda schreef op 25/05/2014 23:26:

>

Coldfusion 11 new install - The ColdFusion ODBC Server service

created by Anit Kumar Panda

<https://forums.adobe.com/people/Anit_Kumar> in /ColdFusion/ - View

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/6408465#6408465>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a different issue. The issue resolution is available at ColdFusion-10 64bit and MSAccess — Adobe ColdFusion Blog

You may like to check the supported version of MS Access at http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/coldfusion/pdfs/cf11/coldfusion11-support-m...

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of note even after you do the steps listed in the article linked you will get a red error at the top saying it can't write to the registry.  This is because you have to use the 32bit ODBC to make this work but it's still trying to access the 64bit registry section instead of the Wow6432Node section.  Just ignore it.

Also you will need to delete any sources you made and start over in the CFIDE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Mr Tussing and Mr Panda for your help.

Finally mij developing site came back to life - thank you!

winfried kamps

Leith Tussing schreef op 27/05/2014 14:59:

>

Coldfusion 11 new install - The ColdFusion ODBC Server service

created by Leith Tussing <https://forums.adobe.com/people/brentil> in

/ColdFusion/ - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6411875#6411875>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anit,

I'm having the same issue adding Access Data Sources in CF11. I sent you a PM and also sent an email to the address you provided. Anxiously waiting a reply. Thanks for your help!

Brandon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the bug page: Bug#3759846

It was commented that There is now a fix, and that it will be included in the Upcoming Update of Colfusion 11.

Do we have a date of release for that Update?

Personally I think that this bug deserves it's own update. Why wait for other little fixes to be implemented when you have a big GLARING HOLE in your software?

Isn't this a core feature?

I find it hard to believe that nobody at Adobe took the time to make sure that Coldfusion 11 was actually able to connect to all the types of data sources that it is supposed to be able to connect to.

It's not like this is an obscure bug that comes up rarely! Seriously all you have to do is attempt to add an ODBC datasource and "wow look at that, a bug!"

Isn't such a core feature something that should be tested before software is released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can someone send me this hotfix - i am now having the same problem - ColdFusion ODBC Server service is not running or has not been installed

please help if you can

[Email removed; This is a public forum - private info is not allowed]

CF 11 on a win 10 pro machine trying to set up datasources for MS Access files for the development environment.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation