• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 11, Update 12 breaks Flex remoting in some cases...

Contributor ,
May 15, 2017 May 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Adobe Flex app that I've written, and of course I occasionally need to call remote procedures on the server sometimes.  We use ColdFusion 11 on the server-side to handle these remote calls.

When I install Update #12 on ColdFusion 11, I get the following error when I make a remote call:
faultCode:Client.Message.Encoding faultString:'Creation validation for class 'flex.messaging.io.ObjectProxy' failed.' faultDetail:'null'

It only seems to happen when I send a complex data-type (like an Array of Objects) to the remote function.  It doesn't happen when I'm just sending strings.

Also, I'm using a secure channel when I make the remote call -- don't know if that might be the difference or not.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information to help track down the root of this issue.  I'm happy to provide any logs you might need, or whatever.  Just let me know.

Thanks,
Laurence MacNeill
Ball Ground, Georgia, USA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

I have discovered a work-around...

BTW, Update 13 still has this issue...

The issue only seems to occur if you pass an ArrayCollection from Flex to a function in a .CFC file on the ColdFusion server.

If you pass in an array of strings, for example, it doesn't happen.

If you pass in a complex object that is pre-defined in a CFC file ( a "value object") this issue doesn't occur.

Thus, if you stringify your ArrayCollection (via a JSON Serializer, which can be obtained from a 3rd party, found with a simp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laurence, did you ever get an answer or fix for this?

Our test server was just updated to this patch and we are experiencing the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no.  The only "solution" was to uninstall Update #12, and go back to Update #11.  The only good news is that uninstalling Update 12 was easy and went through flawlessly.

Wish I had an answer for you.

Thanks,

L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Charlie Arehart's advice, we also checked our update logs to insure that there were no problems with the update process.
How to solve common problems with applying ColdFusion updates (in 10 and above) - Charlie Arehart's ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I assume you found no problems, or else you would've mentioned the problem(s) you found, yes?

Thanks,

L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry. Our log showed everything was successful in applying the update.

So a partial or failed update was not the reason for our encoding faultString bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there is a fix for this that doesn't require reverting to Update 11?  Vulnerabilities (IAVA) in Update 11 force me to have Update 12 installed.  Has anyone installed the new Update 13 and found that this Flex issue is resolved with that update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent up a signal flare in the Adobe channel on the CFML Slack team.  I'll reply back again if I hear a response.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carl.  BTW, we did install Update 13 and the problem still exists.  I emailed the cfinstall mail box but got no response.  We haven't reverted to Update 11 because of the IAVA.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

peterl22795889 On Slack, Adobe says they're in contact with you.  Can you verify that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I haven't heard from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added that over the weekend I reverted to Update 10 (went from 10 to 12, then 13) and the Flex component works, so this is definitely an issue with both Update 12 and 13.  Can I get a response?

Thanks, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've raised the issue again on Slack asking for someone from Adobe to respond.  They claimed they had asked you to file a bug, but I don't know how they contacted you.  Is it possible you received an email from Adobe that got trapped in a spam filter?

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for raising it again.  My junk emall folder is empty and I have to actively move any quarantined mail to my inbox.  I would have seen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Please log a bug at Tracker  and the team will look into it.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anit,

I've logged the bug as you requested (CF-4199848).  I had previously sent several emails to the cfinstall mailbox but got no reply.  Perhaps you could contact me to discuss the issue?

Thanks, Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. The team would look at it. Keep following the bug, for updates.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is *STILL BROKEN*.  We just attempted to install Update 13 for ColdFusion 11, and it causes the same error.

When will this be fixed?  We need Update 13 so we can be PCI-compliant, but then we can’t do anything with our Flex apps...  An unacceptable situation.

I have looked at the bug-tracker here: Tracker

But nothing has been done.

When will this be fixed?!!  It is quite urgent!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have discovered a work-around...

BTW, Update 13 still has this issue...

The issue only seems to occur if you pass an ArrayCollection from Flex to a function in a .CFC file on the ColdFusion server.

If you pass in an array of strings, for example, it doesn't happen.

If you pass in a complex object that is pre-defined in a CFC file ( a "value object") this issue doesn't occur.

Thus, if you stringify your ArrayCollection (via a JSON Serializer, which can be obtained from a 3rd party, found with a simple Google search) this issue will not occur.  Your receiving function in your .CFC file will need to be changed, of course, to accept a string instead of an array.  You can de-stringify it once you've got the data in your .CFC's function.

Hope this helps.  It'd be real nice if Adobe would simply fix this bug and let us pass ArrayCollections, but until then, use JSON.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laurence,

I do not work with Flex, but I am curious.  You mention using a third-party JSON serializer.  Are you aware that CF has it's own JSON serializer and deserializer?  No need for third party.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the original poster is talking about code that would go into the Flex app, rather than in the CF backend.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep -- a JSON Serializer that works inside a Flex app, before you pass it to ColdFusion.  It's got to be in string format before you make the function call to the .CFC.

Thanks,

L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Adobe will let me post a link to the Flex-based JSON Stringifier here?

JSON Serialization Usage

Give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, got it.  I just assumed that Flex had it's own, as well.  I was interested in Flex when it first came out, but never got around to actually doing anything with it.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation