• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion 11 Update 8 fails to install - can't delete files

New Here ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Coldfusion 11 Standard running on Windows Server 2012 R2 with IIS.

I attempted to install update 8 via the CFadmin. It failed and the log shows this:

Failed to delete directory

Additional Notes: ERROR - Failed to delete directory:C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion/lib/httpclient-4.3.5.jar

ERROR - Unable to delete file: C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\httpclient-4.3.5.jar

Additional Notes: ERROR - Failed to delete directory:C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion/lib/httpclient-cache-4.3.5.jar

ERROR - Unable to delete file: C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\httpclient-cache-4.3.5.jar

Additional Notes: ERROR - Failed to delete directory:C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion/lib/httpcore-4.3.2.jar

ERROR - Unable to delete file: C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\httpcore-4.3.2.jar

Additional Notes: ERROR - Failed to delete directory:C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion/lib/httpmime-4.3.5.jar

ERROR - Unable to delete file: C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\httpmime-4.3.5.jar

Additional Notes: ERROR - Failed to delete directory:C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion/lib/commons-net-3.0.1.jar

ERROR - Unable to delete file: C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\commons-net-3.0.1.jar

Additional Notes: ERROR - Failed to delete directory:C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion/lib/commons-collections-3.2.1.jar

ERROR - Unable to delete file: C:\ColdFusion11\cfusion\lib\commons-collections-3.2.1.jar

The Coldfusion windows service runs under a dedicated user (per the lockdown guide instructions). I checked all 6 of these files and that dedicated user has full control over all 6 of them. I ran the update twice with the same results. Previous updates (currently on update 7) have installed with no issues. What would be locking these files to keep Cf from being able to delete them? There was no AV or backups running and no one else was on the server at the time.

Thanks

BC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Hi, Bob. Yep, this is an issue that bites people sometimes. (sorry I didn’t see your forum post yesterday to offer the answer for you sooner.)

The update UI does a lot: stops CF, backs up the files to be changed by the update, updates those files, and starts CF. It seems to presume to wait a set amount of time for the stop to happen before proceeding, and sometimes CF does not stop in that amount of time. It’s unfortunate, and I wonder if maybe Adobe could change it instead to NOT proceed until i

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran this update on 3 other windows servers with identical configurations and a linux server and all 4 worked fine. I suspect that since this server has the most load it might not be stopping the service in time.

Can I run the update manually with the coldfusion service already stopped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Have you tried installing the update from ColdFusion administrator user account?

Alternatively, you can install the update manually .

Below are the instructions:

Please take the backup of entire ColdFusion directory.

a)     Download link: https://cfdownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/coldfusion/11/hotfix_008.jar

b)     Copy this jar file to \ColdFusion11\jre\bin

c)     Launch command prompt as Run As Admin and navigate to this location “\ColdFusion11\jre\bin

and type the command “java –jar hotfix_008.jar” and follow the on screen instructions.

In case if you face any further issues, please drop us an e-mail@ cf.install@adobe.com. We will assist you further.

Thanks,

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using the admin account in cf administrator.

Can I stop the coldfusion windows service before running the update manually?

I think the time it takes Cf to stop and unload 30G of ram is the root of the issue.

Thanks

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please go ahead and stop the ColdFusion services and try the manual update process.

Thanks,

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks. Will try tomorrow morning when the traffic is low.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stopping the ColdFusion Windows service was the answer. Apparently removing the load did the trick. The update completed in under 1 minute with no issues. If anyone else finds this because they are having the same issue stop the service manually and run the update from the command line as described above.

Thanks

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Bob. Yep, this is an issue that bites people sometimes. (sorry I didn’t see your forum post yesterday to offer the answer for you sooner.)

The update UI does a lot: stops CF, backs up the files to be changed by the update, updates those files, and starts CF. It seems to presume to wait a set amount of time for the stop to happen before proceeding, and sometimes CF does not stop in that amount of time. It’s unfortunate, and I wonder if maybe Adobe could change it instead to NOT proceed until it DOES stop (and better, perhaps warn that CF is NOT stopping, and ask you what to do, including an option to kill CF in order to proceed.)

Anyway, one other thing to consider: the fact that CF is slow to stop is of course its own issue, and there is always an explanation for that which can be resolved. As you know from our work together in the past, I strive to not just get past the apparent problem (in this case, the update not working) to resolve the real root cause problem (in this case, CF being slow to stop). If you (or anyone reading this) ever wants help with that (or other troubles), reach out to me about quick remote consulting via the consulting page at carehart.org.

Of course, Bob, I understand why you may choose to ask in a public forum rather than seek consulting help. That said, you should know that I’m happy to help by direct email, and if I can offer a quick answer I don’t charge for that time. Even so, I’m glad to see discussions like this on forums as well, so that many people can learn of the problem and solutions. As always, I just want to help.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation