Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 2016, IIS 8.5, ColdFusion pages 404 out

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

I have an unusual issue with ColdFusion. I'm running ColdFusion 2016, IIS 8.5 on Windows 2012 R2. in a VMWare virtual machine. I've had to do several things to accommodate a new site on this server . We're also running the CommonSpot Content management system.

The original site  "http://site-comspotAuth" runs fine ("site-comspotAuth" is the machine name with DNS being handled by Windows DNS servers inside our network). In order to add a new site to this server, I've had to change the site name to siteCSAuth and the new site is https://site2CSA.

NSLOOKUP, PING and TRACERT all appear normal

here's where things go weird:

The original site site-comspotAuth works, CommonSpot comes up and users can author, however the second site site2CSA delivers html but not cfml, I've run the WSCONFIG tool and the handler mappings seem correct.  This also occurs if I change the name and IP of the existing site which will be siteCSAuth in the IIS bindings. This all ran smoothly on our development server.

i'm at a loss to explain this and I'm under the gun to get this working.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to take CommonSpot and some bits of ColdFusion out of the picture. Create a subdirectory in the new site, create an Application.cfm/cfc in the new subdirectory to prevent CommonSpot from interfering, create an index.cfm file in there, try accessing it using the file name and not using the file name. That will let you see if basic connectivity is working properly.

Then, look at your bindings. Chances are, your HTTPS binding is not working properly.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This produced the same thing. I even turned off the require SSL settiing and created a standard binding to port 80.
steps: created a directory called test in the site root, added a blank Application.cfc to it and a file called test.cfm, inside test.cfm is a "hello world" wrapped in cfoutput tags, still 404s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More: created test.htm in the same directory, it 404s as well.
but.... index.htm in the root works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for you to remove all of the CF bindings and recreate them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still more: the machine name "site-comspotAuth" using an "all unassigned" binding and no host header on port 80 works for the original site

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stripped out all of the ColdFusion binds from the site in question and it delivers HTML, even in the test directory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reconstructed the bindings, site now delivers html, still 404s on CFM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you confirm you have a Jakarta virtual directory in IIS for that site, like the one for the working site?

When you ran the wsconfig tool, did you use “run as admin”?

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,
I didn't explicitly right click and select "Run As administrator", the server operations account that I'm using has Administrative privledge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did that on modern versions of Windows, it will still not necessarily run as admin. An easy way to tell is if you got the UAC dialog when you ran it, with everything else hidden until you chose to run it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the UAC dialog box everytime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SST, you didn't indicate if the site has the jakarta virtual directory, as I had also asked in my last comment. You only replied to the "run as admin" suggestion.

If you confirm that it's there and things still don't work, I'll offer this: there are too many variables that could explain what's happening. But I suspect I could get this working for you if we got together in a screen-share, where I could assess those variables and drive you to the explanation and solution, in perhaps as little as 15 minutes. I also have a satisfaction guarantee, so if we didn't solve it, you wouldn't have to pay for any time at all. For more, see carehart.org/consulting.

I appreciate that you may feel you should not need to pay at all for this help. Totally your call. It's just that some problems are not easily solved via back and forth in the forums. You see it's already been 8 days since you opened the thread. But some problems ARE easily solved once we're on your machine together and can assess the various variables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,

I appreciate the offer, however this is a federal site and there are clearance issues involved.

The the jakarta virtual site was created by the wsconfig tool.

I've got this working, by using a port bind. Both sites are set to the same "All unassigned" with the site requiring SSL on port 443 and the one that doesn't in on port 80. While this doesn't use the domain names that I wanted it does get my users back into CommonSpot Authoring, at least until I can take this server down for an extended period to perform major surgery. I'm suspecting that this may require a reinstall of ColdFusion 2016, or worse an attempt at reinstalling IIS (or just have a new base VM created and move the code over).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never found a situation like this which reinstalling either CF or IIS fixes. But I have found situations where the wsconfig stuff that's been created previously has conflicts with new wsconfig entries - there's a numeric list of them that is supposed to match the list of numbers that IIS assigns to sites. In one or two cases, I've found that this didn't match, and I would either have to directly make entries in the appropriate config files (web.config and applicationHost.config) or remove and reinstall all connectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, to what Dave says.

1) And I’d go still further to say first that before removing them all (if you go that route):

a) You may want to backup the /config/wsconfig folder. It’s small, and could help you revert things I’m about to mention.

b) Note (in the wsconfig tool) what sites (if any) have their own connector. You could have it set so that all sites use one connector, or all use one but some others use their own, or all use their own. If you want to put it back that way, you want to take note of that before removing them.

c) Note as well that someone may have tweaked the workers.properties file in each connector folder (numbered folder under /config/wsconfig). You may want to be able to recover those changes, or at least assess whether you should

2) Then, second after removing them all, it would be wise to make sure that all remnants of connections to CF in IIS are gone. That means ensuring (at the server level and each site) that a) there are no more Tomcat “isapi filters”, b) there are no more “handler mappings” for cfm and related extensions, and c) there are no more Jakarta virtual directories in each site.

It’s possible that while you always did a “Run as admin” to add connectors, someone else could have missed that. Or they could have hand-crafted the above CF-related settings in IIS. The wsconfig tool may not know to remove those.

While you could check the above one at a time in each site, you can also check it by looking for the related XML entries that IIS would put into its respective config files. You would look a) in any web.config for the webroot of each site, then b) the \windows\system32\inetsrv\config folder and its applicationhost.config. There should be no remaining references to coldfusion or the cfm extension (for instance) in those files, once you use the wsconfig tool to remove all connections.

Now, removing things from those (if left there) is indeed a bit “surgical”, to use your term, but it’s minor surgery if done right. But even minor surgeries can turn deadly if an unprotected germ gets in (or for Seinfeld fans, if Kramer drops a junior mint into the patient from the surgical observation balcony). So do be very careful. Once false removal of a bracket (or mistakenly leaving one) and either the IIS UI for that feature won’t work, or perhaps the site itself won’t start, or in a worst case perhaps IIS would not, or would not work right. But it’s really easily done if one is familiar with it.

And it’s these things that I’d have led you through. I can’t elaborate on every point, or on other testing I’d have done before removing them. But Dave’s right that it should not require uninstall/reinstall of CF or IIS itself. So I add this in case you try the removal and recreation of all connectors, which is at least less onerous, if done carefully.

/charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation