• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion 2016 JAVA 9/10 support

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does ColdFusion 2016 support JAVA 9 or 10?  

I assume no to 10 but had to ask!

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Thanks to wolfshade and bkbk for the mentions. Beeker, really, the answer to your question (and considerations about Java 9, 10, and 11, with respect to CF 11, 2016, and 2016) is covered in depth in my blog post:

On ColdFusion and its support for Java 9, 10, and 11

I don't think there's much you could wonder that I haven't addressed. 🙂 But if questions remain, ask them here or there. And to help future readers, would you please consider marking this as "the answer" for your question? (I apprecia

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CF2016 support matrix offers Java 8 (1.8):

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/coldfusion2016-support-matrix.pdf

Of note CF2018 (beta) installs with JDK9 present. I have altered CF2018 to run on JDK10.

HTH, Carl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, beekermd03,

There is another post in which Charlie Arehart provides a lot of information regarding Java support in various versions of CF.  Well worth reading.  (I always read Charlie's posts whenever I encounter them - I never know what I'm going to learn.)

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

beekermd03  wrote

Does ColdFusion 2016 support JAVA 9 or 10? 

I assume no to 10 but had to ask!

I wonder why you ask. In any case, I have to advise caution. Don't change ColdFusion's Java version unless you really have to. The version that ships with ColdFusion  (including updates) has one great advantage. It has undergone the entire test cycle of the product.

So I would run only the officially recommended Java versions on production servers. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to anticipate updates and test your applications on newer, unofficial Java versions beforehand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK,

Oracle recently released their Support Roadmap.  In the roadmap, they targeted January 2019 as their end of public updates for JDK 8.  See link below:

Oracle Java SE Support Roadmap

I agree with you completely about running only officially recommended Java versions which is why I am hoping Adobe is working on an upgrade path to Java 9 or above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

beekermd03,

Thanks for sharing the Oracle link. You can count on ColdFusion 2016 update to be hard on the heels of new Java versions. However, it will be a challenge for the ColdFusion Team to keep up with the current flux of Java version changes. Charlie Arehart recently wrote an informative piece about this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to wolfshade and bkbk for the mentions. Beeker, really, the answer to your question (and considerations about Java 9, 10, and 11, with respect to CF 11, 2016, and 2016) is covered in depth in my blog post:

On ColdFusion and its support for Java 9, 10, and 11

I don't think there's much you could wonder that I haven't addressed. 🙂 But if questions remain, ask them here or there. And to help future readers, would you please consider marking this as "the answer" for your question? (I appreciate that others here have offered some different facets, but this post tries to bring together all that one needs to know about the question and its answer.)

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Charlie, thanks for the info.  That article is a good read and very thorough.

So from what I can tell from your article and other items I have read, it looks like we are in a "wait and see" pattern regarding this.

I respect the situation that Adobe is in with regards to this issue.  It sounds like we are hopeful but haven't received any official communication from Adobe that they have a plan to integrate.

At the minimum, I look forward to hearing official word from Adobe that they are working on a solution.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation