CF2016 support matrix offers Java 8 (1.8):
Of note CF2018 (beta) installs with JDK9 present. I have altered CF2018 to run on JDK10.
There is another post in which Charlie Arehart provides a lot of information regarding Java support in various versions of CF. Well worth reading. (I always read Charlie's posts whenever I encounter them - I never know what I'm going to learn.)
^ _ ^
Does ColdFusion 2016 support JAVA 9 or 10?
I assume no to 10 but had to ask!
I wonder why you ask. In any case, I have to advise caution. Don't change ColdFusion's Java version unless you really have to. The version that ships with ColdFusion (including updates) has one great advantage. It has undergone the entire test cycle of the product.
So I would run only the officially recommended Java versions on production servers. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to anticipate updates and test your applications on newer, unofficial Java versions beforehand.
Oracle recently released their Support Roadmap. In the roadmap, they targeted January 2019 as their end of public updates for JDK 8. See link below:
I agree with you completely about running only officially recommended Java versions which is why I am hoping Adobe is working on an upgrade path to Java 9 or above.
Thanks for sharing the Oracle link. You can count on ColdFusion 2016 update to be hard on the heels of new Java versions. However, it will be a challenge for the ColdFusion Team to keep up with the current flux of Java version changes. Charlie Arehart recently wrote an informative piece about this.
Thanks to wolfshade and bkbk for the mentions. Beeker, really, the answer to your question (and considerations about Java 9, 10, and 11, with respect to CF 11, 2016, and 2016) is covered in depth in my blog post:
I don't think there's much you could wonder that I haven't addressed. 🙂 But if questions remain, ask them here or there. And to help future readers, would you please consider marking this as "the answer" for your question? (I appreciate that others here have offered some different facets, but this post tries to bring together all that one needs to know about the question and its answer.)
/Charlie (server troubleshooter, carehart.org)
Charlie, thanks for the info. That article is a good read and very thorough.
So from what I can tell from your article and other items I have read, it looks like we are in a "wait and see" pattern regarding this.
I respect the situation that Adobe is in with regards to this issue. It sounds like we are hopeful but haven't received any official communication from Adobe that they have a plan to integrate.
At the minimum, I look forward to hearing official word from Adobe that they are working on a solution.
Thanks all for your thoughts.