• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion 2016 Supported on Windows Server 2019?

New Here ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are in the process of deciding whether to move to Windows Server 2016 or 2019.  We are on Coldfusion 2016 and intend to stay with it for a while.

Is CF 2016 supported on WIndows Server 2019, and if not, will it be?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Cosart | Senior Developer/Analyst

Center for Community College Student Engagement

Program in Higher Education Leadership

Department of Educational Leadership and Policy

College of Education

The University of Texas at Austin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

I realize you will want to hear from Adobe, but I suspect the answer to both is "no" (Server 2019 is not and will not be supported by Adobe for CF2016). But to be clear, that doesn't mean it won't WORK! 

To the first point, note that support for it (Windows Server 2019) was added to CF2018 update 2 (in Feb 2019) but NOT to the CF2016 update 8/9 released also that month. See this blog post that announced both, the same day:

ColdFusion (2018 release) Update 2, ColdFusion (2016 release) Update 8, and ColdFusion 11 Update 16 released - ColdFusio…

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

As an update on all this, in July 2020, I will note first that I am not aware of any change regarding cf2016 support of windows 2019. It still seems to be an officially "unsupported" configuration. But might it work for you? Yes, with some caveats. More below.

Again, cf2018 DID add support (by way of a new installer) with its update 2, in Feb 2019. But as for cf2016, since writing here last, I still have never seen an updated installer (for windows 2019), and it's still not listed in the suppo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize you will want to hear from Adobe, but I suspect the answer to both is "no" (Server 2019 is not and will not be supported by Adobe for CF2016). But to be clear, that doesn't mean it won't WORK! 

To the first point, note that support for it (Windows Server 2019) was added to CF2018 update 2 (in Feb 2019) but NOT to the CF2016 update 8/9 released also that month. See this blog post that announced both, the same day:

ColdFusion (2018 release) Update 2, ColdFusion (2016 release) Update 8, and ColdFusion 11 Update 16 ...

Second, as for whether it would work, it may. Or it may depend on which CF2016 installer you use (there was a "refreshed" one released in 2017). [As an update, I DID later confirm that it worked for me, and it has for others. See my reply here from July 2020.]

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I suspect you are correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be open to marking that answer as correct, to help other readers, at least until we may hear differently from Adobe? What is marked "correct" can be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As an update on all this, in July 2020, I will note first that I am not aware of any change regarding cf2016 support of windows 2019. It still seems to be an officially "unsupported" configuration. But might it work for you? Yes, with some caveats. More below.

Again, cf2018 DID add support (by way of a new installer) with its update 2, in Feb 2019. But as for cf2016, since writing here last, I still have never seen an updated installer (for windows 2019), and it's still not listed in the support matrix for cf2016 (while it IS listed in the cf2018 support matrix).

All that said, does this mean one CANNOT install cf2016 on Windows 2019? No. It means only that it's not SUPPORTED by Adobe. (Heck, cf11 and earlier are no longer "supported" but people still run those--at their own risk.)

And FWIW, I can confirm I HAVE installed CF2016 on Windows 2019, and it worked for me. And I know others who have done it. Of course, something may NOT work, and if so Adobe won't support you getting it working. (I may be able to help. CF and server troubleshooting is what I do.)

But do be sure to use the "refreshed" cf2016 installer which had been created in 2017 (to support then windows 2016 and iis 10, which had NOT been supported by the ORIGINAL cf2016 installer). Since windows 2019 runs iis 10 also, you of course need THAT support also.

The way to know which cf2016 installer is which is to look at the properties for the cf2016 installer exe, then its "details" tab. If that reports a "file version" of 18.0.0.0 (which is about the installanywhere version), that's the newer (2017) installer for cf2016 that you should use. The installers from 2016 (there were two: the second one removed the api mgr to its own installer, among other things) have version 17.0.0. 0, and you would NOT want to try to use those with windows 2019, since they'd lack iis 10 support.

One other thing: if you ever UPDATE an old Windows version to a new version, with cf installed, often that will continue to "work"--even if the installer might have failed. But if that older cf version (you leave installed) doesn't support the newer iis version, then you will find you won't be able to run the cf wsconfig tool to make any modifications to the cf/iis connector.

Also, as for getting that "refreshed" cf2016 installer--and indeed any installers for CF that are earlier than the current version Adobe offers, note that the cfmlrepo site (cfmlrepo.com, managed by trusted members of the community) offers those.

Lots to consider there, I know. I should create a blog post on it, and plan to. But barring any more or new info from Adobe or others, I hope that's helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation