Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion Builder 2018 and Big Sur - problems launching

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Since upgrading to Big Sur on MacOS I have found that ColdFusion Builder 2018 will not start up fully.

Initially it quit before startup with java.lang.NullPointerException 

---

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.tool.nl_ja 2 0 2020-11-17 11:41:23.455
!MESSAGE Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.tool.nl_ja [451]
Unresolved requirement: Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.tool
Unresolved requirement: Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.tool

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi.compatibility.state.nl_ja 2 0 2020-11-17 11:41:23.455
!MESSAGE Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.osgi.compatibility.state.nl_ja [473]
Unresolved requirement: Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.osgi.compatibility.state
Unresolved requirement: Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.osgi.compatibility.state

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.apt.nl_ja 2 0 2020-11-17 11:41:23.460
!MESSAGE Could not resolve module: org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.apt.nl_ja [450]
Unresolved requirement: Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.apt
Unresolved requirement: Fragment-Host: org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.apt

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2020-11-17 11:41:23.461
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.NullPointerException

---

After restarting, it will launch and show the Launcher palette, but thereafter although the app launches and renders the menu bars, none of the palletes launch.

The menus are all functional and although a project won't launch it is possible to select a new project and force it to launch.

However it does not display all of the files tabs in the project and click in a file or its file tab causes files to partially appear/reappear.

There is sometimes a message about the start page other times not.

Completely unusable. 

Any ideas? I've googled various keywords and phrases but don't find anything. The only difference in my setup is the recent change to Big Sur.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I upgraded my OS to Big Sur this morning and CF Builder does work. I tried reinstalling but I'm getting this error:

------------

"libjvm.dylib" cannot be opend because the developer cnnot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.

------------

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a GateKeeper error?

Does this help - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

see the section How to open an app that hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work either. There's no "Open".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent 2 days trying to figure this out and the only solution is to downgrade the os back to Catalina. That means backing up the hard drive, erase and reinstall. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have ColdFusion Builder 2018 running on Big Sur without a problem. You need to have the Preferences/Security & Privacy tab open and then start ColdFusion Builder from the Finder via right-click -> open. You can then allow libjvm.dylib to be executed from there. The same goes for ColdFusion 2021 on Big Sur. Both run fine on Intel and M1 Macs on Big Sur. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.: I installed the plugin version on Eclipse 2020-12 (4.18) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a solution, but some info that may be useful to some.

First, of course this challenge happens often with new OS builds (Mac or Windows, whether with CF or CFB). It's even worse with CFB and MacOS: the CF Builder System Requirements page does indicate that it supported only 10.13 (High Sierra)! And while there was an update 1 for it , that update did not indicate a change in OS support. 😞

That said, I realize everyone reading this may already understand that, and just want to identify any possible workarounds. I just wanted to share this, if it may be helpful to anyone. (I realize it doesn't solve the problem.)

Finally, FWIW, we can take some consolation in knowing that this sort of problem will diminish in time, as Adobe has announced that they are rebuilding CFBuilder 2021 to be based on vscode instead (either as a plugin or as a standalone packaging, just like they did with CFBuilder and how it was available either as an Eclipse plugin or as a standalone. Of course, current vscode users will far prefer the plugin route.)

Time will tell how it goes, if/how it's better than other vscode cfml extensions, etc. But it does seem that our hassles with CFBuilder as built on Eclipse will be going away in time. 🙂

Until then, if there are some workarounds to get CFB working on Big Sur, that will be great.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie

Thanks for the input. I have got well used to limping the various ColdFusion editors between MacOS and PC updates over the years!

Have to say I am surprised that CFBuilder 2018 seems to be such a dead end now, especially as I only upgraded last year. 

Should they really still be selling the 2018 if its so OS version specific?

I'm pretty much done with Adobe's tools now there are some pretty decent alternatives, I don't see there's much ROI really

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While it's fair to assert that cfbuilder ON ECLIPSE seems a "dead end", as far as updates and updating for recent macos versions, it's NOT fair to say that about cfbuilder entirely when again Adobe is working on a new vs code variant.

And while some may argue "there are already vs code cfml plug-ins", cfbuilder does much more than the equivalent of such existing plugins--though far too many people never fully leverage cfb's features to appreciate that distinction.

Why does that happen? Human nature, lack of desire to read docs on the part of most, a relatively small population of cfb users to generate a segment of the community to share discoveries.

It's a sad state, yes.  Dismal? No. Dead? No. Dying? I think we need to see the new version and its successors (the first version will not be complete, it seems). Will some choose not to wait? Sure. Heck, many left it long ago, or never tried. Some hated eclipse. Most never appreciated what cfb had to offer. Adobe will have a job winning folks back, but depending on how it goes, they may well be able to.

But it's not critical to cf's success. More a nice to have than a have to have, obviously. And since they give away cfb with every CF license purchased (1 for standard, 3 for enterprise), there's even less reason to hear much complaint. Some just ignore it.

But I do hope that a solution is found for this big sur problem (and I think it will be), and especially as you've paid for it I hope you may be able to fully leverage it--as I still have hope that more people will do that. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's far more capable--and worth exploring--than most seem to realize. There's definitely ROI for those who do. And I can even directly help any who doubt that, as I've been doing it for over a decade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair comment

Do you have any insight into who would in the CF team it would be best to report it to? Aside from this post I haven't had time to find any further solution (desperately trying to get some work out the door) . 

Happy to bring it someones attention

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can email cfinstal@adobe.com, which is the address for free installation support for cf, and I'd think cfb. But DO be sure to acknowledge that you realize that Big Sur is not formally supported and also came out only last week.

We can't expect/demand that they have support for it immediately (same for CF), but I gather you are wanting go ask if they can help with a possible workaround until they do. And they may well have one, which we might not hear here; they don't read or reply to every post here.

If you or anyone finds an answer, please do share for everyone's sake. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Charlie. Will do 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is logged in the bug tracker -  https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/CFB-4198463

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ask everyone viewing this message to vote & comment the related bug to make it come to an eye

https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/CFB-4198463

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, Adobe has come out with a post today clarifying that while, for now, Big Sur is simply not supported for CF Builder, they are "working on making ColdFusion Builder to be compatible with Big Sur". That's encouraging, though it's not clear if that's about the current CFBuilder or the NEXT version (to be based on VSCode).

But if anyone has more specific questions on that, it would seem best to ask there on that post (if not also the bug report Dommie shared below, last week).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update Charlie! I found a workaround to use CFBuilder while on a Mac. I have CFBuilder on a PC then on the Mac, I remote into. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an interesting solution, Hans. Good "outside the box" thinking. But I do realize others may balk at the idea ("screw that noise", in coarser words).

That said, I'll note this for the sake of anyone who may be so desperate as to want to consider it: CFB does come with a 60-day free trial, so it may well be something to consider, if you DID have a spare PC (or Linux) machine around. You COULD certainly install that trial (remoting into it, if needed). And depending on the network config you could even point that CFB at CF (and perhaps your code) on your mac or a shared server.

At least it buys some time, in the hope that perhaps Adobe would address this issue with Big Sur before the trial's up. (And BTW, when a CFB trial ends, it doesn't "stop working". It turns into the free "Express" edition, with certain features removed--some of which are ones that many folks may never notice.)

Just sayin'. 🙂 And "please don't shoot the messenger".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, here's yet another workaround some may want to consider, especially as conflicts with Big Sur may not be unique to cfb/cf: consider dual booting macos versions. While that used to be harder in older macos  versions, with newer versions and their supoort of volumes, it's not much of a challenge :

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/dual-boot-mac-3659676/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been over a year now. What's the status on Big Sur support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this issue has ever been fixed but you can install a current Eclipse version and then run ColdFusion Builder as a plugin. There is also some workaround to get CFB installed on Big Sur, I have it running fine on my machine but forgot how I did it, I think it was just changing some security settings in system preferences. 

Anyway, I would strongly recommend switching over to VS Code and use the currently available free plugins for CFML. I actually liked CF Builder but in the end VS Code is just a much better editor and Adobe seem to be switching over from Eclipse to VS Code as a base platform for CF Builder so it's probably better to make the switch now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would second this. VS Code is probably the best general-purpose code editor out there, it's a lot more responsive than Eclipse-based stuff, and the only thing you'd give up are RDS and things that depend on RDS, like database introspection, file system access, and debugging. None of those are usually that important to CF development or can be replaced by other tools.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, more than a year later. As someone who actually PAID for CFB I find it totally unacceptable. Expecting software to be current and updated is not asking too much if you paid for it. Will I get my money back? Not a chance. Adobe knew about Big Sur in advance, same as every other software company. Now, more than a year later ther eis still nothing. Not even a simple article from them on how to get some workaround working. And while I appreciate that the people in the US can affod to wast emoney on software, us poor fools from other countries pay SIGNIFICANTLY more for software and cannot afford to waste our money like this. Sorry for the rant, but I am sometimes astounded at the lack of understanding or care from software companies in the US in particular. The inconvenience of having to reinstal is not the end of the world if you got the software for free. I didnt and the same with thousands of others across the world. We dont earn dollars or euros. So shame on Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See post below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to backup my drive and did a factory reset. Reinstalled all my softwares and everything is running great. I have not clicked any update from Apple ever since November.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation