Highlighted

ColdFusion Builder 3 - Open a large file causing CF Builder 3 to Hang

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open a large file having 2700 lines of code in CF Builder 3, it becomes completely unusable and in the task manager showing Not Responding.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

ColdFusion Builder 3 - Open a large file causing CF Builder 3 to Hang

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open a large file having 2700 lines of code in CF Builder 3, it becomes completely unusable and in the task manager showing Not Responding.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 28, 2014 0
Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have tested a files with around 3000 lines of codes in CF Builder 3, i can open this file without any such problem, it may be your environment specific issue.

Please crosscheck any other such cfm file and observe its behavior..

Regards,

Kaif Akbar

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2014 0
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Verified this with a few other guys to make sure this is not just my environment.

After a closer look, it looks like this file with 3000 lines of code is including (cfinclude) many other files and we think CF Builder 3 is trying to load them as well.

In Dreamweaver above scenario could be turned off. And I do not see any options in CF Builder 3 to do that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2014 0
Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kindly let me know or crosscheck following :-

1. What is the max heap, min heap and MaxPermSize your ColdFusion Builder 3 installation using there?
  2. When you are executing that large ColdFusion file having more than 3000 lines of codes, how many objects are being used/called?
  3. How much memory is being consumed there for its execution considering all its internal resources like objects etc?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2014 0
Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope its working now at your end..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 15, 2014 0
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I'm using an Adobe product because 4 years later this is STILL a problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jascomp, there’s not always an inherent inability of CFB to read such a large file. As was discussed in the previous messages, there is often an explanation for things—either in the config of CFB (or perhaps in the config of the connection of CFB to any server, if it’s relying on such a connection), or in the nature of the code.

But note also that this is referring to CFB 3. Are you saying you’re having a similar problem on CFB2018? Or if CFB2016, is it with the latest updates available for that?

If you felt it was flat not working, would you be interested in a free 15 minute online shared desktop session to look into it? Adobe may offer it, but I would as well. I have helped many people solve what seemed insurmountable and inexplicable problems.

/charlie

/Charlie (server troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Charlie I'm using CFB2016 (Build 302777).  Did not realize that CFB2018 was available.  I will try an upgrade.  However, I will say that I've been using CFB since version 1 and this problem periodically creeps up in every version (at least for me).  This has been across multiple machines, OS, etc.  I appreciate the support offer but for me the problem is not consistent enough.  Right now it's working great.  Tomorrow it may randomly start generating long pauses and do that for an hour then stop.  I use Eclipse for Java development as well and do not have this issue editing large class files.  However that is using a newer version of Eclipse.  Periodically over the years I've searched for a solution, but I've never found one.  I plan to switch to VS Code anyway.  Appreciate the reply.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I recall correctly, this issue was more apparent when you have an entire file system mapped to a drive and you are accssing large files from that mapped drive with cfbuilder.

I gave up on cfbuilder and still use dreamweaver.

Charlie, is it?!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 29, 2018 0
Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

techuser​ and @jascomp, thank you for sharing your experience with ColdFusion Builder. One remark I should like to add is that you make no reference to bug-fixes. Therefore, you're assuming implicitly that Builder development has stood still across a period of years. That is, of course, not so.

ColdFusion Builder, like every other software used by developers, evolves frequently. The issues you mention have likely been solved in the current version. If so, then reports such as yours would no doubt have contributed to the solution.

So, I would say, report in the bug database any issues you find. Follow up their progress, and have faith that you are contributing to improve the software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bkbk. for me not getting enough positive response or even a response that it would it be addressed in the future was enough to not continue to use cfbuilder.

I just felt it was built in a cheap way over eclipse with all th bugs not addressed bfr releasing - that our company actually paid for 3 developers license. It was just a waste of company money.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually enjoy using CFBuilder (most of the time).  Despite the bugs I've found it to be a handy editor.  I've used many Adobe products over the years and have consistently found their support and bug resolution lacking at best.  More often I find my solutions within the online community.  As a developer I understand that bugs are a part of software.  I get it.  However, having those bugs move from version to version with plenty of reports to Adobe and no resolution is apparently just how Adobe operates.  The reason I've stuck with Adobe and specifically ColdFusion despite what a reasonable person would tolerate is that I maintain a lot of legacy code that is simply never going to be refactored and the community.  As you can see from previous responses; community members like Charlie Arehart step up and pick up the slack left by Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  3 days into using CF Builder 2018.  So far no issues.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2018 0
Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear about the success with cfb 2018 so far, and thanks for the kind regards,  indeed on behalf of the many folks in the community who help, as you allude to.

null

/Charlie (server troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2018 0