• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion Environments

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  For our Coldfusion environment, we have a Development, Test and Production environment.  I'm trying to determine what licensing we would use.  I understand you could use a Developer license for Test, however most environments would have a Test environment replicate a Production environment, so would this work with a Developer license on a test server?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the ColdFusion EULA permits you to use the same serial number for a production server, a staging server, a testing server, and a DR server - as long as only one of those servers is actually being used "in production".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carl,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the EULA.  I found a copy of it, and seem to be reading it differently.  Contained in lines 1.6 and 1.7:

1.6 “Development Software” means Software licensed solely for (a) internal development and testing; and (b) for use on a Staging Server, when Licensee is using the Software with respect to a valid license to the Production Software. In each case the Development Software may only be accessed by Authorized Users over the Licensee’s Internal Network.

1.7 “Staging Server” means a Server used to assemble, test, and review new or newer versions of applications, to deploy such applications over Licensee’s Internal Network, and only to be accessed by Authorized Users before the applications are moved into live, standby production, or production environments.

it looks like only the Developer edition can be used.  Can you point me in the right direction in the EULA that lets us use the Prod Serial on a Test Server.  My knowledge of the Dev edition is you're limited to a maximum of two simultaneous remote IP addresses.  Not sure of any other restrictions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, you didn't specify whether your application was public-facing or intranet.  I suppose if it is public-facing, and you have no way of restricting which users can access the Development and Testing servers, then licensing is a problem.  I don't believe the EULA explicitly says to use the same serial number, but that is the implied method to enable a test/stating server, and I believe Adobe staff have confirmed that on other forum posts and the official ColdFusion blog.

You are correct about that Developer Edition restriction.  Other than licensing terms, and the two simultaneous IP address restriction, Developer Edition performs exactly the same as the Enterprise Edition.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation