Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion.exe locking files

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a current development environment where we use a program called GoodSync to copy files from our local computer to a development server where we can then test our code.  We don't run CF locally on our own desktop/laptops.  Usually this works just fine but occasionally we have an issue where we can't copy our files to the server because the file gets locked by ColdFusion.exe.

Any ideas why ColdFusion is locking files and not releasing them?  We have to restart the CF service in order to clear the locks.  It seems like this is happening by mistake for some reason.  I've never encountered it in any other environment.

-Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moving the folder _gsdata_ to a location outside the webroot, and changing GoodSync's settings accordingly;

2) leaving _gsdata_ in the webroot, but denying ColdFusion access to the directory. You could do this as follows:

a) right-cick on the folder _gsdata_ and select Properties;

check click on the tab Security, then on the button Edit;

c) click on Add, and add the user, Local Service (that is the user ColdFusion runs as by default);

d) in the resulting user-interface, click in the checkboxes todeny Local Service all permissions;

e) click on the Apply button.

Although check Windows Resource Protection Could Not Perform The Requested Operation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem after running the CF2021 Code Analyzer.  Any files that show an error are locked, they can be edited but they cannot be deleted. If the error in the file is fixed and the Code Analyzer is re-run and the file no longer throws an error then the file can be deleted.  This suggests any file that throws a coldfusion error becomes locked by coldfusion.exe  if the error is fixed and run without any cf errors then it is released by coldfusion.exe.  I hope that helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clive, just to be clear, do you mean the security code analyzer (run via cf builder) or the compatibility code analyzer (run from the cf admin)?

Either way, this is very surprising to hear. I'd like to confirm it, when I get a chance. And are you on any update of CF2021 (currently 1 or 2)?

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for following up Charlie. (I started with CF back in 1998 so I recognise your name from way back then!)

I am just migrating from cf2016 to cf2021 so ran the cfadmin2021 Code Analyzer (Debugging & Logging > Code Analyzer) Version of code to test: CF2016

(New versino is: CF Version: 2021,0,02,328618)

1. Error Found on a page because it had a requestTimeOut="900" under a CFSCHEDULE tag and requestTimeout is deprecated in cf2021.  

2. It is possible to open the page and edit it but it is not possible to delete it because windows says that the file is being used by coldfusion.exe

3. Edit the page by removing the requestTimeout attribute

4. Re-run the Code Analyzer as before.... the page is no longer shown as having an error.

5. The page can now be deleted by windows in the normal way.

This suggests that when the analyzer has found a problem with the file it holds on to it sufficiently to stop windows from deleting it but does allow it to be edited!

I hope that helps you figure out what is going on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation