• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion Hosting Partners - Obligations

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is whether or not hosting companies listed as 'Partners' have agreed to any terms and conditions - do they have any obligations?

If so, what are they?

If so, and they are not living up to them, who do I talk to/email at Adobe?

I ask here, because I got no where on the phone with Adobe.

I ask because I am using one, and I have a serious issue.

Shared server environment

Currently running CF 10 - productversion is 10,0,13,287689 - released 4 years ago

The latest CF 10 update is 21, released over 7 months ago.

Aside from all of the security patches, I need at minimum update 18 - released over 16 months ago,

to resolve an issue with https calls that are currently not working, despite using keytool to add certificates to cacerts

I requested CF update. Their platform team is "working on it", no ETA.

Further, I asked this question:

My question to management was why updates are not applied in a timely fashion -

the current update (10) on the site was released 4 years ago

there have been 11 updates released since then - which have not been applied

the minimum update (18) that I requested was released over 16 months ago

the latest update (21) was released over 7 months ago.

and this one:

I am trying to understand what your internal procedure/process is for

1) receiving notification from Adobe that there is a coldfusion update released

2) doing whatever you need to do to test the update released

3) applying the update to all of the shared servers running cold fusion

The responses I receive back are:

We are actually working for possible upgrade with our testing lab along with our vendor, unless and until we are so sure with possible suitable platform works withlatest update we might not proceed with this.

Meanwhile if you really wanted to have the latest version, we can only suggest you to have CF VPS environment/plan, as you will be able to control your own CF updates.

Our platform team is currently reviewing it as informed you earlier. There is no ETA but when it will be scheduled, we'll surely let you know.

We do have internal procedure to upgrade any platform on shared server.

Obviously, their 'internal procedure' needs some help if they haven't applied any CF updates in 4 years.

Response from community, and Adobe staff would be much appreciated.

I am currently using one of the Coldfusion hosting partners listed here: ColdFusion hosting partners | Adobe ColdFusion family

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what to suggest as far as their responses go.  That's pretty lousy.

You don't indicate precisely which of the partners you're using for hosting.  If I may suggest, I am using Hostek for my hosting and I absolutely love them!  No BS, quick to respond to email requests for support, always by the phone when I call, and up to date with at least 99% uptime.  And I'm using shared hosting, so it's not too expensive.

HTH,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to avoid being specific about the hosting partner, because not sure how many of them even offer a shared hosting plan (sandbox). There is no question that we will be changing host sites, probably going to VPS. Considering AWS as well. It's just bad timing to move at the moment, getting ready to launch major release upgrade. Thanks for sharing your experience with Hostek - I will put them in the mix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just move to AWS. You get the benefit of $12 domains, great DNS, free - auto renewing ssl certificates, various os options, various resource options, various drive options, application firewalls, load balances, and only pay for what you use. You can be up and running in LTE to a day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AWS is expensive for CF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 Hostek

I've also used AWS, but not for CF hosting. If you are more hand off and just want inexpensive and reliable hosting, I recommend Hostek. If you like getting your hands dirty and full control, AWS is a great choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at three vendors, dumped one, compared Hostek and Media3. Not shared hosting, too many caveats on what I can control. Ended up at Media3, because they were far better at answering my technical questions in detail during the sales cycle ( I was very, very specific about what I wanted ). Have had a few burps, mostly with database conversion, but testing complete and planning migration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was really hoping to hear from someone at Adobe about this issue.

It's really not good to have 'Partners' listed that don't even bother doing the CF updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I don't think Adobe tries to manage its partners that closely, and a lot of items that come up in CF updates might be mitigated in other ways, so you have to vote with your dollar.

As for AWS vs shared hosting, they're not really trying to do the same thing. I love AWS, but it's really intended for individual customers who want to have full control over the environment. Shared hosting ... isn't - and that might be one reason why you're having this problem. Let's say a shared hosting vendor has a customer who, for whatever reason, doesn't want updates or can't afford the downtime or whatever. The shared hosting vendor is going to go with that just because it's the path of least resistance.

Ultimately, if you want to have full control, you have to pay for full control. If you don't want full control, you have to shop around until you find a vendor who provides the right level of control and does the management that they don't give to you.

Dave Watts, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dumped old hosting company. Have new one, VPS. Better, but not happy with database server. Perhaps I'll get in touch with you about your hosting services.
It still disturbs me that Adobe is basically giving referrals to hosting companies without any oversight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation