• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion License for Web Hosting

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2009 Feb 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I just buy CF8 Ent and use for webhosting?

I've a bunch of linux hosting. My friends want to rent a few and use for their CF app but I'm not sure that I can use the CF Ent that bought from Adobe Store or from a distributor for hosting services? Or I have to use some special licensing from Adobe for that kind of thing?

Not sure about that. Because I've heard that MS has many kind of MS Win Server licensing (web hosting != internal company web server)

Please suggest!

Jedt S.
Bangkok

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information....

What I've concern is the part in license file of CF8 that I've (tried) reviewed with my poor English and Law knowledge.

2.7.4 Prohibited Use.
Except as expressly authorized under this Agreement, Licensee is prohibited from:
(i) using the Software on behalf of third parties;
(ii) renting, leasing, lending or granting other rights in the Software including rights on a membership or subscription basis;
(iii) providing use of the Software in a computer service business, third party outsourcing facility or service, service bureau arrangement, time sharing basis, or as part of a hosted service; or
(iv) using any component, library, or other technology included with the Software other than solely in connection with its use of the Software. Notwithstanding the foregoing, with respect to a Production Software License only, Licensee is permitted to host the Software (including the accompanying Macromedia JRun Software) for use by persons other than Authorized Users.

The number (iii), last sentence is the a bit curious for me and my friends.

Any Adobe guys here? Or someone from CFDynamics or cf hosting services?

Thanks in advanced!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend you contact Adobe with your licensing question. The answers you receive in this forum are not necessarily the official policy of Adobe.

Adobe support
http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an old thread, but it is important to know that Adobe is going after licensees that use CF for their own single application that is serving up web pages in a SaaS model. This is not a situation where you are giving others access to code in CF - that would definitely required custom licensing. We were sent a questionnaire earlier this year under the guise of getting a "better deal" for our existing 3 perpetual Enterprise licenses. As a result of what was clearly a bait and switch tactic, Adobe is now claiming we are in violation of the EULA and requiring us to sign a custom agreement that is increasing our costs nearly 10-fold. If we don’t sign it, they are threatening to sue us for years of back-license fees. Our solution does not provide coding access or delivery of ColdFusion itself. And it is not ColdFusion server dependent as it will also run in an open source environment like Lucee.

They say that ANY company using CF in any B2B capacity is a service bureau and subject to a custom agreement with annual auditing/repricing, using some arbitrary and unknown formula for determining the cost. Clearly they are trying to convert their perpetual licensed customers to a special license where they’ll ultimately demand a portion of their revenues. They are also bypassing their resellers by doing this. If anyone has successfully navigated a solution to this that didn't break your bank I’d like to find out what your resolution was.

For a current conversation, see this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation