After a lot of blood sweat and tears I got the pdfg servlet running on my Redhat 8 Linux server. A could of bugs that I found are:
1. The <installdirectory>cfjetty file is not reflective of the java path that the user chooses during install. I had to update the SOLR_JVM to my java path and delete the jre folder that was put there during install.
2. If you stop the pdf service it "unregisters" it from your CF instance. When you start the service it doesn't "register" the service so you have to bounce the entire CF instance to pick it up again.
Also, since you cannot rely on the fonts like a Windows install it looks only at <installdirectory>
/webapps/PDFgServlet/Resources/fonts where you are given very limited font options. I do not feel I should have to pay for Adobe .otf fonts. Please provide some.