Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion V11 update 19 to ColdFusion 2021

Explorer ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Team,

Looking for some recommendations for best path to successfully move to CF 2021 on a new Windows 2019 Server. My  new Dev/UAT and Prod CF 2021  will be up and running in parallel to our current systems until cut over due to new MYSQL and Oracle server upgrades happening as well. After a fresh install of CF 2021 Ent, is there best way to copy/export configuration settings?  From a CF tasks, I know i can copy NEO*.xml files etc. I do have detail steps from V11 perspective which I am sure still apply from IIS work/copying code base/Certificate work/CF Admin work etc. Just wondering if anyone run into any gotchas during CF2021 install/known issues? 

Many thanks

Jose Duenas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

No, do not copy neo*.xml files from one CF verison to another. Bad idea. They often change in how they are formatted internally in small ways, and this leads to all sorts of subtle bugs, when folks don't report that this is what they did.

Better to use the CAR file (ColdFusion Archive mechanism). For more on that and other aspects of migrating settings, there is a guide from Adobe for CF2021:
https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/coldfusion/pdfs/cf2021/cf2021-migration-guide.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, do not copy neo*.xml files from one CF verison to another. Bad idea. They often change in how they are formatted internally in small ways, and this leads to all sorts of subtle bugs, when folks don't report that this is what they did.

Better to use the CAR file (ColdFusion Archive mechanism). For more on that and other aspects of migrating settings, there is a guide from Adobe for CF2021:
https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/coldfusion/pdfs/cf2021/cf2021-migration-guide.pdf

There was one for previous releases as well (mostly the same info). You can also watch the recording of a preso I did on the topic, with still more details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d2UlfIyWXQ

Hope that helps.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ty Charlie,  

I believe there is actually an export option on CF tasks etc.  Regardless always appreciate

the support. I will check out the links for sure.

Jose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, no, there's no export feature that's specific to scheduled tasks. Again, what you're likely thinking of is the cf car export feature I'd mentioned, that's covered in those docs and my talk.

Yes, it can export any or all cf admin settings (using the car export page in the cf admin of one instance), creating a zip (having a. car extension), which can then be imported using the car import admin feature in another cf instance (even across cf versions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know ty. Jose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie/Team, question when you have time. Ty in advance.

Current produciton Web running on 24gig/8 CPU, JVM heap max 8192. CF11 update 19

Build team is looking to take us down to 12gig/5 CPU on new WIndows 2019 build.

I instructied that heavy load doesn't  show up on average due to early morning maintenance and processing tasks.

Also 2.5 hours folder replication job with an external server. I do plan to go to Double Take which i have used

before that does need some additional memord and disks space for queue size. I would like to leave CPU 8, if pushed say down to 6. and 32gig memory. Giving me room to expand max JVM if needed for any reason room to grow.

I understand these VM are much easier to increase, not like old poweredge servers i used to work on 🙂

I would also like to run CF Server monitoring tool without impacting server, too greatly down the line. 

Current Server Windows 2012. R2  Memory free average 35-40%

Your thoughts. 

Jose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this really ought to be its own thread, but I will say that no one can really make any objective recommendation based on that info alone. That level of resources could be way overkill for some, or not enough for others. There are just way too many variables.

Instead, one could assess things diagnostically, and then make such assessments, sure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed, txs again for your input.

Much appreciated.

Jose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation