Copied

#

TOPICS
Connector , Database access , Documentation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you're providing enough information to answer your question. I can't see the URL you're mentioning.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's still not enough information. That URL doesn't have anything useful in it. I suggest you show the actual CFML code in that page.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only guess. My guess is that you are querying the wrong database within MariaDB. I'm more familiar with MySQL, and a single MySQL database can have multiple databases within a single install. The root user can get to any of them, but you need to make sure you're getting to the right one. It's been a while since I've worked with MySQL to be honest, but you can probably test this using a remote mysql client from your CF server.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm noticing that the OP here (orokcoldspring) had opened a question about the same problem on the CF portal last week, specifically https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2019/12/problem-picking-datasource/. I suspect they asked here because no one replied there.

But I did reply there today, as I saw it for the first time. Folks interested in helping here may want to see what I said there.

Bottom line, the problem seems to be that their CFML code is simply not running at all. That's why they are seeing the output they do. (And as I'd said if they do a "view source" in their browser, they can confirm for us if they see CFML in the browser. which would confirm it's not "running" in CF.)

It's interesting to note that in that other post, they had not offered the UR they were using, and I had asked to know that, to help direct them to a solution. I see now that they did provide it in their post here, saying that it was: http://10.20.249.42/index02.cfm

So this suggests they are not CF's built in web server (which would listen on a non-standard port like 8500), but instead some external web server like IIS or Apache. And as I said in answer to the other post, it would seem then to be about some misconfiguration of their IIS setup.

Whether you answer here or there, had you run the CF "web server configuration tool", which is how one connects such a web server to CF? Either way, tell us more (and in either place, though if the conversation will take off here, you ought to add a link to this post on that other one, so folks seeing it there can follow the discussion here).

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but rather than an answer, I only have more questions (some which you did not answer).

First, it seems you're confirming this may be your first cf page running on cf2018, is that right? (If you tried a simpler one without a cfquery, you'd see if this problem had nothing to do with that.) 

And did you do the view source in the browser, to see if it shows your cfml underlying the page output? That would confirm cf is not processing the page.

And are you confirming you're using iis, perhaps? We need to know, to guide you to a solution. 

More important, did you actually install cf2018? You don't say, and since you say you are "not a CF expert", we shouldn't presume you have done that.

And where is cf? On your own machine or elsewhere? We can't tell, with the ip address you show.

(If cf is on some OTHER machine, you will need to enlist the help of whoever installed cf there to resolve this.)

Finally, assuming cf. 2018 is installed and you are using iis, the cf web server configuration tool needs to be run. Something to note is that the cf2018 installer NO LONGER OFFERS TO INTEGRATE ITSELF WITH ANY EXTERNAL WEB SERVER, like iis or apache, though it always did before. Never saw any explanation for that.

If it's simply that you didn't do that last step, then assuming you are on Windows and installed cf yourself, you would look to the windows start menu, for the Adobe menu, where you would see first a link for then cf admin. The last link in that Adobe menu is for the cf web server config tool. (If you still have cf11 installed, watch to choose the correct one.)

As for how to use that tool, including screenshots, see the cf docs, found easily via Google. Let us know how it goes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sake of readers who may be getting emailed replies here, I will not that I edited my last comment after posting it, adding the last 3 important paragraphs (which I'd meant to add before hitting submit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Dec 24, 2019:

Yes, I'm running CF2018 (developer) & Apache2.4 on the same VM.

Yes, I viewed the cfm file on the browser as provided.

No, I'm not using IIS

Yes, I installed manually the CF2018 -- as per instruction once you download it (free).

CF2018/apache2.4 are running on same VM -- and mariaDB server is on the same physical machine (as separate VM server).

I'm not sure about below as what you mentioned:

"Something to note is that the cf2018 installer NO LONGER OFFERS TO INTEGRATE ITSELF WITH ANY EXTERNAL WEB SERVER, like iis or apache, though it always did before. Never saw any explanation for that."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum threading is getting a bit confusing for me! Try the CFDUMP thing I suggested at the bottom of this thread. That will verify whether CF is working at all through your web server. I suspect it isn't.

One thing I can't see from your CF Administrator screenshot is the URL you're using for that. CF comes with a built-in web server. That listens by default on localhost:8500. If you're going to the CF Administrator with a URL that looks like

http://localhost:8500/CFIDE/Administrator/

but are trying to run this page with a URL that looks like

http://10.20.249.32/index02.cfm

that would indicate that the built-in CF web server is working, but the Apache connector hasn't been installed. You have to do that as a separate step in CF 2018 for security reasons, I think.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Charlie said, we need a lot more information before we can do any more than guess. I would strongly recommend you do some initial troubleshooting: is the web server working? is CF working with the web server at all? and so on before you get to your DB connectivity issue.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cf2018-console.pngurl.pngservices.png

#1: CF2018 Console

#2: URL output

#3: Running Services (Apache2.4 is also up-and-running)

#4: The Code:

<!---
File: Test file
Description: This is to show list of scientists
Author: Einstein, Albert
Created: 2019-12-20
--->
<cfquery name="getScientists" datasource="rhce" username="root" password="******">
SELECT sno, firstname, lastname, city, country, age
FROM scientists
</cfquery>

<html>
<head>
<title>Using cfoutput</title>
</head>
<body>
<table border="1">
<tr>
<th>Sno</th>
<th>FirstName</th>
<th>LastName</th>
<th>City</th>
<th>Country</th>
<th>Age</th>
</tr>
<cfoutput query="getScientists">
<tr>
<td>#sno#</td>
<td>#firstname#</td>
<td>#lastname#</td>
<td>#city#</td>
<td>#country#</td>
<td>#age#</td>
</tr>
</cfoutput>
</table>
</body>
</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So let me see if I follow this.  The original "question" was #, and world-class CF experts gave astounding responses?  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, no. the person you are seeing mark things as "#" is the orginal poster, orokcoldspring, who somehow seems to have decided to remove all their replies by removing the text and leaving just #.

I have never seen that done before and am not understanding the intent, other than perhaps to remove their tracks from the conversation (and perhaps the system doesn't let them delete their replies, or leave them empty). Would love to hear clarification.

Also, it's not clear if that person and the Marty who replied later are the same person. Like Dave said, the thread was indeed getting confusing.

And in fact, Marty offered a final note this afternoon saying that all was working, but his reply is buried within the page here, as this community UI tries to keep threaded replies, rather than just show them as sequential (like it used to, with oldest at the top or bottom). It doesn't seem something we each can control for ourselves, but I don't know.

Anyway, I will write a reply in response to the very first note, pointing out how at least Marty's problem is solved (which seems also OrokColdSpring's), and I hope that will stand out better to future readers, either at the top or bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that's a lot more information. I can't tell you why you're not seeing your list of scientists. The screenshot showing that directly from the MySQL client is too small to see for me. Here's what I'd do. Put a CFDUMP and CFABORT right below your CFQUERY, and see what's in the CFDUMP.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Showing what you have is not giving us the answer any more than it did you.

I asked several very specific questions that SHOULD get this problem solved, but you didn't answer any of them. Pleaes see above, from Dec 24:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/coldfusion/coldfusion2018-datasource/m-p/10818767#M184095

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source code is not picking up the info from the database

url.png

The code:

<!--- 
File: Test file
Description: This is to show list of scientists
Author: Einstein, Albert
Created: 2019-12-20
--->
<cfquery name="getScientists" datasource="rhce" username="root" password="*****">
 SELECT sno, firstname, lastname, city, country, age
 FROM scientists
</cfquery>
<html>
<head>
<title>Using cfoutput</title>
</head>
<body>
<table border="1">
<tr>
 <th>Sno</th>
    <th>FirstName</th>
 <th>LastName</th>
    <th>City</th>
    <th>Country</th>
    <th>Age</th>
 </tr>
<cfoutput query="getScientists">
 <tr>
  <td>#sno#</td>
        <td>#firstname#</td>
  <td>#lastname#</td>
        <td>#city#</td>
        <td>#country#</td>
        <td>#age#</td>  
 </tr>
</cfoutput>
</table>
</body>
</html>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for the larger screen shot! It looks like your CFML isn't executing, and that probably means your web server isn't configured to execute CFML properly. You can confirm that by creating a single CFML one-liner that looks like this:

<cfdump var="#CGI#">

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not showing me anything on the browser 😞 It's showing white, blank space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

url.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all ... after all the hicups -- I was able to figure out what's missing 🙂

Everything's working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't leave us in suspense. What was the solution? (It's important also for the sake of others who may see this in the future.)

BTW, I had been writing my note so missed your reply here, or I would have simply asked this instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation