Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Connect CF9 to Oracle 12c

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have CF9 on Windows 2003 (32 bit) and need to connect to Oracle 12c (Windows 2016 64 bit). Could someone, please let me know if it's possible and refer me to a document on how to do it.

When I try to create data source using the following, I get an error. 

Driver: other

JDBC URL: jdbc:oracle:thin:@db01:1521:APOLLO

Driver class: oracle:jdbc.OracleDriver

Thank you,

Eugene

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 29, 2018 Aug 29, 2018

What that’s indicating is that CF 2018 Standard does not include JDBC drivers for Oracle. It never has. Here’s an article (from the CF “MX” or CF 6 timeframe) showing how one on CF Standard could (and would need to) obtain the Oracle Thin driver on their own and implement that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/coldfusion-mx-configuring-oracle-jdbc-1.html

That said, the system support matrix has never shown what version of Oracle WOULD be supported if you did that. But as long as CF says it ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oracle 12 is not supported by CF9, AFAIK.  I doubt anyone will build drivers, for it.  There _might_ be a way to connect, but I don't know.

However, what's at stake here is that you are using an old, deprecated version of CF and for at least security reasons you should consider upgrading to (at the very least) CF10.  The oWasp ESAPI should be taken advantage of.

There are others, here, who will try to convince you that you need CF2016 or CF2018.  Well, I don't know about all that, but at the very least, you need CF10, which can be acquired by the CFREPO site.

V/r,

^ _ ^

UPDATE: I cannot access the CFREPO site.  Is it down???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oracle 12 is not supported by CF9, AFAIK.  I doubt anyone will build drivers, for it

Where do you see the problem? The JDBC driver depends on the JAVA engine. Oracle provides the 12c Thin Driver even for JAVA 6: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/jdbc-drivers-12c-download-1958347.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ColdFusion 9 reached "End of Extended Support" on December 31, 2016. So, for all practical purposes, ColdFusion 9 has been phased out. That explains why Adobe has removed its documentation from the web.

Nevertheless, you can see in the ColdFusion 10 Support Matrix, that ColdFusion 10 supports Oracle up to version 11g. You may therefore conclude that ColdFusion 9 won't probably work well with Oracle 12c.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK​ confirmed what I suspected.  I think the earliest version of CF that supports 12c is CF11, then.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'd to upgrade to CF 2018, will I be able to access Oracle 9i?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EugenePipko  wrote

If I'd to upgrade to CF 2018, will I be able to access Oracle 9i?

You can answer that yourself. See the ColdFusion 2018 Support Matrix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.... according to the doc you provided, CF 2018 Standard won't connect to Oracle at all (there are no dots against it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What that’s indicating is that CF 2018 Standard does not include JDBC drivers for Oracle. It never has. Here’s an article (from the CF “MX” or CF 6 timeframe) showing how one on CF Standard could (and would need to) obtain the Oracle Thin driver on their own and implement that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/coldfusion-mx-configuring-oracle-jdbc-1.html

That said, the system support matrix has never shown what version of Oracle WOULD be supported if you did that. But as long as CF says it can support a given Oracle version in Enterprise with Adobe’s PROVIDED driver (which are really progress/data direct drivers), then one can reasonably presume that CF Std can connect to the same Oracle version with the thin client.

You can also read about someone else documenting this challenge and solution in 2018:

https://coldfusion.adobe.com/2018/02/coldfusion-2016-standard-and-oracle-adventures/

Let us know if that gets you going.

/charlie

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation