• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Currency validation

Engaged ,
May 26, 2015 May 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have a currency field on a form page that gets inserted into a currency field in Access. Is there  a way to check the validation of this field so it's correct before it gets added to the database? I can't use the Integer validation because that requires whole numbers and won't allow decimal points. I also have the $ pre-filled in. I could remove that if I had to. I just want an error to display letting the user know that they entered the dollar value incorrectly. There have been some issues with some people entering a number like 52.00.00 and it errors out and things get all goofed up in the database. Thanks for your help.

Andy

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use jQuery for preliminary front-end validation. Then, at the server end, you could do something like

<cfif isDefined("form.someFieldname")>

<cfset session.formSubmissionStatus = structNew()>

<!--- Code to trim currencyField and strip off dollar sign  --->

<cfset variables.currency = replace(trim(form.currencyField),"$","")>

<cfif NOT isNumeric(variables.currency)>

<cfset session.formSubmissionStatus.currencyField.value = variables.currency>

<cfset session.formSubmissionStatus.currencyField.message = "Currency must be a numerical value.">

<cflocation url="url-of-form-page">

</cfif>

<!--- Code to insert field(s) to database --->

</cfif>

If the server validation fails, the variables session.formSubmissionStatus.currencyField.value and session.formSubmissionStatus.currencyField.message will be available when the user is redirected to the form page. That enables you to inform the user that "Currency must be a numerical value.".

A more general, and better, validation technique is to give the responsibility of validating the entire form to a function. Something like

<cfif isDefined("form.someFieldname")>

<cfset session.formSubmissionStatus = structNew()>

<cfset session.formSubmissionStatus = validate(form)>

</cfif>

In the validate function, you will then validate each form field, storing each validation result a struct which you finally return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation