• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Current recommendation for a hosting partner?

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a good convo here from 2013 that yielded one recommendation, and a few stay-away-froms. But that was two years ago. Much can change! Who would you recommend for a good hosting partner today?

My husband's small business is besieged by what is likely a routing or peering issue at Cogent. Regardless, neither our host, Newtek (previously Crystaltech), nor our service provider are willing to help -- not that these situations can be solved, from what I've heard from networking pros and others on the 'net complaining about similar problems. (And by help, I mean having someone in their network ops group call someone down the line in hopes of getting the attention necessary to solve the problem.)

We don't have a choice in service providers due to his location. So, it looks like my best bet in solving the problem is going to be switching hosts. I don't want to -- we've been with them for like 15 years, no kidding! But... this problem has grown from something that popped up briefly once or twice in the morning to a more often than not we can't get to our services and trace routes die MOST of the time.

Vivio Technologies (viviotech.net) got the nod in the last thread. Any additional recommendations? Or, nightmares to avoid?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

For some sites I host on the side I use Hostek and I cannot say enough good things about them. Uptime has been great. Support on a few issues I did have has been even better.

Avoid Intermedia.net -- their CF support is CF8 (maybe 9) and I don't get any indication that they intent to upgrade. I would also avoid HostMySite.com if your site requires any security -- specifically keeping up with O/S patches.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company uses Versaweb.com. Been with them for 3+ years.  No problems at all...

Versaweb Clearance Dedicated Servers - Bare Metal Servers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some sites I host on the side I use Hostek and I cannot say enough good things about them. Uptime has been great. Support on a few issues I did have has been even better.

Avoid Intermedia.net -- their CF support is CF8 (maybe 9) and I don't get any indication that they intent to upgrade. I would also avoid HostMySite.com if your site requires any security -- specifically keeping up with O/S patches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd like to echo Steve's comments about HostMySite - I have ONE client who swears by them, and every project that I contribute my time to takes twice as long because their connections are S - L - O - W (it takes almost two minutes to upload a 6k file.)

I have heard nothing but good things about Hostek, and will be using them for my first personal project in the next month, or two.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both who responded. Both answers were "correct," it only lets me choose one thought.

I did go with Hostek -- VERY happy! The service has been great, the control center is a great tool, and I did need their support a time or two in the database transfer, but they were awesome. A very happy customer -- and we do NOT have any peering problems like we were experiencing with Newtek/Crystaltech.

And -- get this: SAME service, at 1/5 the cost. That's not a joke. 1/5 the cost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very glad to see you gave them a try and it worked for you. It's been a several months since I wrote the above recommendation and my opinion of them is still the same. In fact I convinced my day job employer to use them for use with some of our ancillary hosting and they opted for their Hosted Virtual Private Server option -- same results, great service and support at a fraction of the cost we were paying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation