• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discussion Forum written with ColdFusion

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a simple discussion forum messaging system written exclusively in ColdFusion for our website and for the general public. Just a simple post and reply of messages designed to work with SQL databases, easy to configure and operate. I can build on it. I'd be forever greatful. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

I will add confirmation to Wolf's suggestion. As some know, I keep a list of tools for CFers (cf411.com), and I have a section on forums/bulletin board software (https://www.cf411.com/bb), and all those I had listed over the years are now defunct (not updated in years).

But Jim, since you seem to want something to use as a starting point, some of them (including Galleon) are indeed open source, and at Github. If you took the ball and ran with it, and got it working (perhaps with a later versio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

The succintness of your post tells me just one thing. It would be best if you built the system yourself! From scratch.

In my time as developer - alone on contract or as a member of a team - I have built many applications based on requirements that were fewer or more unclear than yours. In fact, my project portfolio includes messaging systems.

Your requirements,

1. messaging system
  2. for our website and for the general public
  3. post and reply of messages
  4. easy to configure and operate
  5. written exclus

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jim,

I don't think anyone has _recently_ made any CF-based forums.  I know Ray Camden built Galleon years ago, but I don't think it's been updated in a while, and probably won't run on more modern CF servers.

But I'll keep some feelers out for one.  If I find one, I'll let you know.

V/r,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did another Google search, and found the following (updated in 2013):

https://www.itlandmark.com/blog/best-coldfusion-forum-software/

So, you can try that, but I can't guarantee that any of them are still viable.

HTH,

^ _ ^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will add confirmation to Wolf's suggestion. As some know, I keep a list of tools for CFers (cf411.com), and I have a section on forums/bulletin board software (https://www.cf411.com/bb), and all those I had listed over the years are now defunct (not updated in years).

But Jim, since you seem to want something to use as a starting point, some of them (including Galleon) are indeed open source, and at Github. If you took the ball and ran with it, and got it working (perhaps with a later version of CF, if it would not), then contributing those changes back would enable folks to use that if they wanted.

But really, if one really just wants to add forums to their site, it's often reasonable to just let that be written in whatever language it comes with, whether it's installed locally or setup as a SAAS version (where it's hosted elsewhere). In either case, often there's nothing on the URL to indicate the sotware technology. (For instance check out the popular open source product Discourse, at discourse.org.)

And as some people may just need the funcitonality--not needing to tweak it necessarily, then the language difference also may not matter.  But I realize it may for you, so there are some thoughts to get you going. 

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The succintness of your post tells me just one thing. It would be best if you built the system yourself! From scratch.

In my time as developer - alone on contract or as a member of a team - I have built many applications based on requirements that were fewer or more unclear than yours. In fact, my project portfolio includes messaging systems.

Your requirements,

1. messaging system
  2. for our website and for the general public
  3. post and reply of messages
  4. easy to configure and operate
  5. written exclusively in ColdFusion
  6. designed to work with SQL databases

are a solid foundation. Start there, and visit the forum as often as you want for answers to your questions and suggestions.

As you yourself say, "I can build on it". Yes, you can!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. First I have to continue work on my Domain Marketplace Website to complete with sedo, godaddy, afternic. I now have an enterprise dedicated server at a large datacenter hosted with ColdFusion and am now desiging the databases with SSMS.  I feel like I need to get to the top of Mt Everest but I can't find my ski shoes. 

So, I'll probably end up using code I wrote long ago and just expand on it, and get ideas from visiting here. I'm not a good programmer but I try hard.

Plus I'm doing all this while living in Dalat, Vietnam, the mild climate in the mile high city, no deaths in Vietnam from Coronavirus, no guns, almost no crime and civilized friendly people. And I have a 17 month old daughter now. And I love her. I  adore her. 

My 17 month old Asian/American daughterMy 17 month old Asian/American daughter

Thanks everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim_Maxey_424 ,

What an endearing little girl! In all my years at this forum, nothing has put a bigger smile on my face than this picture. 

Sounds like you have found your heaven.

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why thanks for such a very nice comment. I have lived in Vietnam for 3.5 years and love the peace here. And my daughter is the wonder of my life. She never stops, always smiling and so bright and loving. Maybe I can get her interested in computers years from now. But for the time being, just enjoy life.   Here's another photo, this time the three of us, my daughter and  her mother together with me about ten months ago.

family_01.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation