Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CC Coldfusion 10 extension?

Engaged ,
Dec 29, 2013 Dec 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm on the road trying to configure Dreamweaver CC for a CF10 project on my laptop.

Back in my office on my server i have DWCC configured using the CF10 extensions and I remember that I used an extensions file with the '.zxp' suffix; for the life of me I can't find that file on the web anywhere. (The .mxp extension simply won't run in the CC extension manager).

Anyone know where it is?

Thanks in advance, and happy holidays.

Rich

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I had another look at Dreamweaver CC, and noticed that there is another issue, related to Coldfusion. None of the interfaces properly colour format CFML. Even, if you create a new interface and use main.scss to try and create a custom style sheet for CFML, it doesn't really work, because there are not enough selectors to properly format the language. 

Although, I will continue to work on the ZXP extension, I have decided to uninstall Dreamweaver CC 2020, and reinstall Dreamweaver CS6. It was such a relief to see built in support for Coldfusion with proper tag/function intellisense and code colour formatting. 

I really cannot understand why Dreamweaver is not built around Coldfusion? And for those who say that Adobe are planning to drop Coldfusion, I really don't think this is the case. In the US, the Coldfusion Development market is strong and I have seen no hints to substantiate this claim. I just think that Adobe are trying to push developers towards Coldfusion Builder. The problem is, is that Dreamweaver is just a superior editor to Coldfusion Builder, so I wish Adobe would just bite the bullet, and reintegrate support for Coldfusion into the former. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karma, I can concur with your observation that there are no seeming plans for Adobe to drop CF (indeed, they have offered a form on the CF portal to signup for the CF2020 prerelease, when it comes out).

But as for CF support within DW, that seems a christmas wish of yours that will never be fulfilled. There are no signs at all of CF support ever being returned to DW.

I realize you are putting this wish out there for Adobe to consider, and we could leave it at that. But for the sake of some readers, I will add some more perspective to this thread, which your three 2019 comments have resurrected from its originally posting in 2013 and other comments mostly from 2014.

Sure, the situation regarding CF and DW stinks, for those who were/are fans of both. And sure, it is a bad look. But again it's been that way for several years now. It was a decision by the DW team, many of whom wouldn't even know how to spell CF and don't know it exists (and don't care). Should someone at higher levels somehow reconcile the two teams? Sure, but again it's not news that they have not, nor a surprise to most observers that they will not. That trains seems to have left the station long ago, never to return.

So as for CFBuilder, well, the CF Team has begin in the last year to acknowledge how it doesn't work for everyone--but that doesn't mean they think it doesn't work for anyone. The issue is that there are different audiences, who want different things in an editor/IDE. Indeed, you say that DW is "superior" to CFB, but that's simply your stance as a representative of the crowd who want what DW has which CFB does not. There is just as large an audience who never liked DW, and either gravitated to still other non-CFML editors, or tried to make things work with CFEclipse (which like CFB is based on the Eclipse editor). Or there were those who used CF Studio/HomeSite/HomeSite+, some of whom to this day fight tooth and nail to keep those running, even after their support stopped some 15 years ago.

But Adobe's acknowledgement that CFB doesn't work for everyone doesn't mean they will drop it, nor again has there been any news of getting CFML support back into DW (which would seem a call by the DW team). Instead, there have been hints of a possible effort toward implementing an official CF plugin for Visual Studio Code, a free multi-platform editor (vastly different than the old Visual Studio) that has become a darling in not just many CF circles but the larger IT world. But it, too, does not offer the HTML-oriented and web design-centric approach that DW offers.

Sadly, it seems there will never be any single editor that "ticks all the boxes"--which of course would border on impossible, and the same goes for the hope that any move by Adobe regarding editors for CF would please all. So I get it, you've made your plea.

And I don't speak for Adobe. But I offer the above for you, and for any readers who may find this forum thread in the future, offering some perspective from someone watching things from the sideline (I have no strong preference for an editor and work with most all of them, since I support so many folks).

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I also use VSCode for my Angular projects. I love it and I sometimes use it for my Coldfusion projects. There are several really good CF plugins already available.

One of them adds CF tag/function intellisense:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=KamasamaK.vscode-cfml

The next, I use to emulate the classic Dreamweaver theme:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=Persephona.theme-dreamweaverweb

And the third one adds Coldfusion comment support:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ilich8086.ColdFusion

I hear you on your comments about Dreamweaver & CFML support. It would be great to see Coldfusion support added back to Dreamweaver and to be honest, it wouldn't require too much work either. Having spent many any hour, rummaging around in the Dreamweaver Application config folders, I can see that none of the CF references have been removed. It just requires a few connectors to be implemented.

I live in hope...

In fact, I have been talking recently with someone who is creating an extension to add the old Tag Library Formatting preference panel back. Now, it probably won't actually be implemented back into the preferences section, because this won't be allowed, but it will certainly be available from the extension's section in Dreamweaver 2020. This should allow us to see the Coldfusion Tag Library again and use it to create decent editor syntax highlighting.  Once this is made available, the only thing missing will be the CF function intellisense. I have just submitted this extension for approval via Adobe Exchange. Hopefully, it will be made available very soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good on you for sharing that additional info. First, to be clear, I did myself already know there were other CFML plugins for VS Code. That's why I said there was talk of them offering simply an "official" one. But the additional resources you have added may help some readers, as may the additional discussion about the hopes and possibilities for DW.

I'll leave that for you and others to take up from here. I had just wanted to offer those few points for context, for the benefit of some readers.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Any news on that extension, @karma007 ? Cannot find anything related to ColdFusion in the Exchange at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2014 Jul 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Dreamweaver CC:

1. Go to preferences

2. In the "choose external applications" section, hit the "+" and enter ".cfm".

3.  In the editor window, select your Dreamweaver app and make it the primary editor.

start coding, code completion works... go figure (aka Adobe are liars)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 29, 2014 Jul 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out a way to get the hover over tag + right-click->edit to be an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why the dynamically related CFM files are not appearing in dreamweaver CC? Tried fiddling with all the options and nothing. My includes are no longer linked to the doc I'm working on.

Anyone have a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 04, 2014 Aug 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because CC is a POS when used with CF. Only solution so far is to install a pre-CC version of Dreamweaver or use another editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're pushing us to use the Coldfusion Builder product

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a fan of CF builder. It has hints of usefulness, but it lacks many or most of the features of dreamweaver when projects include CF and HTML and JS. The old pre-CC version of dreamweaver was a much better application for CF developers than their new split product lines combined. While I have CF builder, dreamweaver CS5 and dreamweaver CC all installed on my box for various projects, I tend to only use CF builder for mobile development, rarely use CC for anything and CS5 is my go to for most everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation