Highlighted

Email field validation not working for <cfinput>

Participant ,
Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My form has input fields for first and last names and for an email address. Form validation for email is not working people are entering First Name" 1, Last Name: 1, and email: 1 and the action for the form is completing without catching the error.

The action  invokes a <CFMail> to send the information to the office manager.

Any thoughts?.

Are people really entering "1" into the form or are bots (or PCI scanners) posting those values directly to your action script?  Prior to sending CFMail, perform an server-side isValid("email") check to ensure that it's actually a valid email address.

Regarding the use of CFINPUT, I'd recommend using an alternative like jQuery Validation plugin.  You'll have more control over the validation and gain skills that you can apply to any HTML (even static).

http://jqueryvalidation.org/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Email field validation not working for <cfinput>

Participant ,
Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My form has input fields for first and last names and for an email address. Form validation for email is not working people are entering First Name" 1, Last Name: 1, and email: 1 and the action for the form is completing without catching the error.

The action  invokes a <CFMail> to send the information to the office manager.

Any thoughts?.

Are people really entering "1" into the form or are bots (or PCI scanners) posting those values directly to your action script?  Prior to sending CFMail, perform an server-side isValid("email") check to ensure that it's actually a valid email address.

Regarding the use of CFINPUT, I'd recommend using an alternative like jQuery Validation plugin.  You'll have more control over the validation and gain skills that you can apply to any HTML (even static).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 02, 2015 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thought would be to check the browser error console to see if there are any messages.

Second thought would be (please don't hate me), "don't use cfinput; use regular form and inputs and use JavaScript IN ADDITION TO server-side validation."

V/r,

^_^

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2015 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow Wolfshade's suggestion.

Just to help you check, the following simple code works as expected:

<cfdump var="#form#">

<cfform>

E-mail: <cfinput type="text" name="email" validate="email" message="Enter valid e-mail address."><br>

First name: <cfinput type="text" name="fname" validate="regex" pattern="[a-zA-Z]{2}" message="First name must contain at least 2 letters."><br>

Last name: <cfinput type="text" name="lname" validate="regex" pattern="[a-zA-Z]{2}" message="Last name must contain at least 2 letters."><br>

<cfinput type="submit" name="sbmt" value="Send">

</cfform>

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2015 0
Engaged ,
Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 03, 2015 0