• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Empty response from server

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a script that, when called from a web browser, returns an empty response.  consider the following code:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

hello

<cfstoredproc procedure = "ParseAPStoriesExecDTSCentOS" datasource = "#app_datasourceAdminUser#" >

<cfprocparam type ="OUT" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" variable=OkToContinue dbvarname="@OkToContinue">

<cfprocresult name="result">

</cfstoredproc>

<cfoutput>#result.OkToContinue#</cfoutput>

goodbye

<cfexit>

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If I move the "goodbye <cfexit>" above the call to the stored procedure, it displays "hello goodbye" and quits successfully.  If I leave the <cfexit> below the <cfstoredproc> call, it returns an empty response from the server.  It doesn't display hello, or goodbye at all.  I don't think it's timing out because it returns an empty response very quickly.

ColdFusion 2018 Enterprise

CentOS 7 environment

I'm sure it has something to do with my ColdFusion configuration because this exact same script runs without any issue in our Windows environment.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

TOPICS
Server administration

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie, thank you for your reply.

Sorry it's taken me many months to get back to you - I never received an alert from the coldfusion form that someone replied to this thread. I happened to visit it today due to a new issue I'm looking into.

Regarding your questions on PMT:

1. We are not running PMT against CF
  2. After the CF2018 update 3, we did not update the PMT. Thank you for sharing the link.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help still, if I may. So first, are you (rob2019) the same Rob whose comments we are replying to (rob34950395)? If so, are you still having the same problems you'd reported back in March?

And while you confirm (just now) what you did after update 3, have you since moved on to updates 4, 5, or 6 (which came out today)? And if you did. have you updated the web server connector, since this is where the problem seems to be happening? I have a blog post on doing that:

https://www.carehart.org/blog/client/index.cfm/2019/11/13/when_how_update_cf_web_connector

And are you confirming also that setting that heartbeat_interval value to 0 as others suggested in this thread?

Finally, as for you not getting a notification of new replies here, note that that's controlled via the settings here in the forum, whcih you can control via the icons in the top right of the UI when you are logged in. You can make it so that it always happens for any thread you contribute to. Or you may notice you can see an "email me when someone replies" checkbox, under this reply box, which would let you only set it for a given comment. FWIW, I have it setup to get notification for any threads I participate in, and I got notified of your response here.

Hope that's helpful.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again Charlie. I am the same rob as before - not sure why but when I logged into the community here the other day it asked me to set a new profile name. This was confusing to me - I tried to set it to  'rob34950395' but it alerted me it was already taken so I changed the name to 'rob2019'. Searching my emails I see an alert in September 2019 from adobe that my rank has changed referencing user 'rob34950395' - but now when I login  I can't access that user. Strange??. Both of these profile names used the same email address which AFAIK is what I used to login. Not sure how else I can prove to you I'm the same person.

I am not having the same problems as we had back in March. As detailed in my earlier posts in more detail - using Apache MPM Event solved the issue for us. Subsequently I was able to apply Update 4 without issue.

Applying Update 5 has been a problem. Servers with update 5 applied and receiving regular traffic (i.e. production) will eventually enter an error state (in approximately 8 to 24 hours) where ALL subsequent page loads return a ColdFusion styled "server timeout" message. Once it is in that state - logging into the server shows no high CPU load.

However looking into mod_jk.log (set to info level) does show a lot of noise with some error messages - for example here during an error state situation where ALL pages loads are returing "server timeout":

[Fri Nov 15 15:36:45 2019] [48648:140688633067264] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2954): (cfusion) connecting to tomcat failed (rc=-3, errors=77, client_errors=182).
[Fri Nov 15 15:36:45 2019] [48648:140688633067264] [info] jk_handler::mod_jk.c (3385): Service error=-3 for worker=cfusion
[Fri Nov 15 15:36:45 2019] [48647:140688532354816] [info] jk_open_socket::jk_connect.c (817): connect to ::1:8018 failed (errno=111)

Examples of "noise" in the mod_jk.log but the server isn't in an error state:

[Fri Nov 15 03:05:13 2019] [48648:140688616281856] [info] jk_handler::mod_jk.c (3378): Aborting connection for worker=cfusion
[Fri Nov 15 03:08:01 2019] [48648:140688574318336] [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (2201): (cfusion) Writing to client aborted or client network problems
[Fri Nov 15 03:08:01 2019] [48648:140688574318336] [info] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (2933): (cfusion) sending request to tomcat failed (unrecoverable), because of client write error (attempt=1)

[Fri Nov 15 04:22:47 2019] [48646:140688823678720] [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (2270): current reuse count is 8 of max reuse connection 4294967295 and total endpoint count 25
[Fri Nov 15 04:22:56 2019] [57424:140688823678720] [info] ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c (2270): current reuse count is 5 of max reuse connection 4294967295 and total endpoint count 25

According to our monitoring - the server went into an error state on Nov 15 04:24 - and start seeing this in the log: 

[Fri Nov 15 04:26:17 2019] [48647:140688616281856] [info] jk_handler::mod_jk.c (3359): No body with status=503 for worker=cfusion

I have not updated the connector - and will attempt that later today and reply back here on how that goes.

I didn't specify the heartbeat_interval in my earlier comments, it's been about half a year - but I seem to recall changing it to 0 back in March and it having no impact. It is currently set to 30.

I'll keep the heartbeat_interval in mind as well as I apply these newer updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meanwhile we are quite sure that it is a problem with the connector. We exchanged the mod_jk.so in /opt/coldfusion2018/config/wsconfig/1/ with the mod_jk.so from ColdFusion 2016. Now it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change of

heartbeat_interval=30 to heartbeat_interval=0

in the file [apache_home]/workers.properties

eg. /etc/apache2/workers.propertiers on SuSE

solved the problem of blank pages  in ColdFusion2018 for us (and a lot of more problems as well like eg. cfflush....)

I got this info from the Adobe Support Team and they told me this should be solved in the next update.

This entry is new in the workers.properties and is used by the Performance Monitor.

Performance Monitor should be able to run as well with the modified Setting.

Changed as well the [cf_home]/cfusion/bin/jvm.config

to use G1GC instead of parallelGC

-XX:+UseParallelGC changed

to

-XX:+UseG1GC

see for documentation below link

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/tutorials/tutorials-1876574.html#t2

You need a restart of ColdFusion and Apache for the changes to take effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's indeed interesting to hear, Marco (that setting the heartbeat_interval to 0 solved your problem). I would surely hope we hear more from Adobe about that, before everyone seeing this may go change that. What does it even do?

As you say, it's about the PMT. We need to know what exactly happens when that's set to 0?

There's scant doc on the heartbeat interval. Indeed, about all I could easily find was this from the CF2018 what's new docs (https://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/using/whats-new.html), which say that it is "The time interval in seconds after which the connector load data is sent to ColdFusion."

Does it matter what it is if one does NOT have the PMT enabled? What if that instance in question is not being monitored by the PMT? 

Also, you end by mentioning a change to using the G1GC. That's interesting, but it would help to know if that had ANYTHING to do with your resolution. I would expect not. Again, I fear some may see this and having that problem think, "oh, let's change our GC also", which could have unintended consequences. Always best to change one thing at a time, when trying to solve a problem. 🙂

Anyway, let's see if Adobe may offer more (to you or here). Thanks for sharing what you heard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charlie,

the info i got from Adobe was that i can use the PMT with the modified setting. I don't know what exactly the heartbeat_interval does.

The info from Adobe was, that with the heartbeat_interval set to 0 (turned off) you will not get heartbeat interval data in the PMT.

(No Problem for me, i survived without PMT since ColdFusion 4.0 🙂 )

You are right with the change of the Garbage Collection. This change has nothing to do with the emty page error, but i've seen on my CF2018 Servers that temp files of ColdFusion resides in the /tmp folder (e.g. created Images ...) as long as the garbage collector starts to clean up (on parallelGC i've seen the files sometimes for hours in the /tmp, and this dependent on how many temp files are generated could fill up your filesystem).This is maybe as well a bug in the new version of the connector.

This was the reason (recommended from Adobe as well) that for our usage the G1GC would be the better solution.

As i understand the G1GC works totally different as e.g. the parallelGC. The G1GC tries to clean up all the free time of the processor (if there is something to clean up) but for a maximum of 0,5 seconds and therefore the G1GC solved our problem with the temp files, because they were removed much faster. As you've seen in my first post i added a link to the GC documentation (in my opinion very interresting to read) because dependent on the used functions or the applied size of the heap space it could make really sense to change from the parallelGC (CF Default) to another one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heartbeat_interval change fixed the issue for me on MAC OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, could you update us on the state of things for you? And had you considered my last comment?

And one other, for anyone else finding this: do make sure you have UPDATED the connector (running the wsconfig tool to do an update, which puts in place a new mod_sk.so) In CF2018, update 2 had introduced an updated connector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie.

Thank you for your replies earlier this year. My apologies for not responding earlier however the forum failed to email me that there was a reply and so I didn't see your comments until this week (November 2019).

AFAICT we've been stable on update 4 using Apache 2.4 with MPM Event as I described in my earlier post.

Installing update 5 introduces instability and after approximately 8 to 24 hours our servers with update 5 end up in some kind of error state where all page loads return server timout error messages.

We are not using PMT - however we also never manually recreated the connector (mod_jk). I had no idea this was required - always assumed this was handled by the coldfusion update process that one initiates in the CFIDE.

So we are still using the mod_jk.so that came with ColdFusion 2018. 

I ran 

wsconfig -upgrade -v

and I found a new mod_jk.so in 

/etc/httpd/conf

I was expecting it to be installed in

coldfusion2018/config/wsconfig/1/ 

or thereabouts.

I have not been able to find any official ColdFusion documenation that walks you through this process. I assume at this point I need to manually replace the mod_jk.so in "coldfusion2018/config/wsconfig/1/" with the new one in "/etc/httpd/conf" - and restart Apache & ColdFusion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation