• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Logging Tools

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been tasked with finding out how other companies implement error logging.  I'm not interested so much in how to use Coldfusion to log errors, I'm more interested in whether folks are using third party error logging tools.

What tools does your company use to manage application wide error logging?

Thanks in Advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use log4j which is incorporated within CF. Don't using CFLog as it is nothing more than a very limited shell on top of log4j. Research log4j and go through the documentation as it is very full featured. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an Apache project right?  We don't run Apache.  I'm guessing I would have to configure Apache to enable this app to function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike-

Don't confuse Apache Software Foundation (ASF) (the organization) with Apache HTTP Server (the web server, a specific product of the ASF).  ASF has more than 150 top-level projects,including Apache HTTP Server, Apache Tomcat, Apache Lucene, Apache SOLR, and Apache log4j.  They are completely separate and standalone products.

The problem is most people refer to Apache HTTP Server as just "Apache" (although 95% of the time people will know what you mean by the context).

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it.  So, I've looked at the log4j documentation and scoured the net for info on how to implement what amounts to a custom implementation of log4j.  There's lot's of 'examples' but nothing that shows me exactly what to do to log a message from a Coldfusion page. Everything I've seen is Java code.

What do I need to do or, where do I need to go to get log4j working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mike_letson wrote:

Got it.  So, I've looked at the log4j documentation and scoured the net for info on how to implement what amounts to a custom implementation of log4j.  There's lot's of 'examples' but nothing that shows me exactly what to do to log a message from a Coldfusion page. Everything I've seen is Java code.

What do I need to do or, where do I need to go to get log4j working?

As Steve Sommers mentioned, Log4J is already built into ColdFusion. (I am assuming you are on a recent version of ColdFusion.) Loading an external log4J package on top of the in-built one might be too much of a good thing. Conflicts might arise.

Now, on to the good news. ColdFusion can fluently parler in Java. So you can just ask it to give you some of the log4J action.

For example, run the following in a CFM page, then check your ColdFusion logs:

<cfset log=createobject("java","org.apache.log4j.Logger").getLogger("arbitrarily_named_logger")>

<cfset log.warn('This is a custom warning generated at #now()#')>

<cfset log.error('This is a custom test error message generated at #now()#')>

Done logging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve Sommers wrote:

We use log4j which is incorporated within CF. Don't using CFLog as it is nothing more than a very limited shell on top of log4j. Research log4j and go through the documentation as it is very full featured.

I agree with you that ColdFusion has only a limited implementation of Log4J. Nevertheless, it takes just what it needs from the log4J package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do find ColdFusion's own logging apparatus, including custom logging using, for example, <cflog>, sufficient for ColdFusion's needs. My bet is that the majority of ColdFusion Developers do as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your opinion ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation