• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error uploading a file

Participant ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited an application a few years ago and up until today, a particular part of the code has worked flawlessly.   It was supposed to upload a pdf file and attach it to a record in the database.  Now, I receive a generic message and I have no clue what is wrong.  I mostly am an Oracle DBA and can do enough CF to get by, until now.   What can I add to this to help give me an idea of what is wrong?  Thanx.  In the below code piece, the cflocation line just goes on, but I can't do that here.

<cftry>

<cffile action = "upload"  

fileField = "requiredFILENAME"  

destination = #newDest#     

accept = "application/pdf">

<cfcatch>

<CFLOCATION url="upload378.cfm?F378_ID=#FORM.F378_ID#&ERROR=We were unable to upload your file. Please try again..&FMBIC_DT=#FORM.FMBIC_DT#&IE_PMO_DT=#FORM.IE_PMO_DT#

&IE_PMOMILCON_DT=#form.IE_PMOMILCON_DT#">

</cfcatch>

</cftry>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

I have reviewed this thread. It is now clear to me why Coldfusion is unable to find the destination directory.

When you began the thread, the value of the destination directory (newDest) was

\\TestServer\secure\Authorization\378Docs\

and the action page for the upload form was

\\TestServer\secure\Authorization\upload378Act.cfm

Destination directory and upload form appeared to have the same root directory, namely, \\TestServer\secure\Authorization\. However, in the most recent error-message, the value

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but every other upload of files done in this application, use the same code, the same directory references, and all, and they work correctly now, every time.   Why would this be any different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I run the original code, I just get a generic error message that the file was unable to be uploaded.  Nothing else shows up on the debug screen.  When I comment out the error message section and enter the abort code as mentioned earlier in the thread I get this:

UploadError.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reviewing the code, it dawned on me that things may have changed with me making changes.  I went to the archive where I have the original code, that worked up until earlier this year.   I didn't see anything different than what was up there, except the part where I had entered the debug/abort stuff recommended earlier. Since I am not that well versed in CF, is there anything obviously wrong with this code?

<cftry>

<cffile action = "upload"  

fileField = "requiredFILENAME"  

destination = #newDest#     

accept = "application/pdf">

<cfcatch>

<CFLOCATION url="upload378.cfm?F378_ID=#FORM.F378_ID#&ERROR=We were unable to upload your file. Please try again..&FMBIC_DT=#FORM.FMBIC_DT#&IE_PMO_DT=#FORM.IE_PMO_DT#&IE_PMOMILCON_DT=#form.IE_PMOMILCON_DT#">

</cfcatch>

</cftry>

I don't really understand how this got here to produce the error message.

Thank you all, once again, for all your assistance.  Definitely getting an education...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#newDest# should be contained within double quotes (")..

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#newDest# should be contained within double quotes (").

Did that and it didn't make a difference... then again, I didn't dump the variable to see if it was correct.

Just so I don't misunderstand, any variable assignment should be

"#variable#"

and not just #variable"?  In concatenations it should be

"#variableORstring1#"&"#variableORstring2#"

Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When referencing a variable, the only time the hashtags are used are:

1) when the variable is being referenced as part of a string, like "This is the value of myVar: #myVar#", or some such.

2) when the variable is being directly output to the page, like <cfoutput>This is freetexting in the page: #myVar#</cfoutput>

Any other time, like if you're contatenating values without putting them in strings (chr(13) & chr(10) is a line break carriage return), or evaluating something (ListFindNoCase(myList,"foobar")), you don't use hashtags because that can actually slow down processing the data.

So, attributes of tags are contained within quotes (aka, a string) - destination="#newDest#", not destination=#newDest#.

Let's say that the value of newDest is "Orlando".  In the first example, CF interprets attribute="value", or destination="Orlando".  In the second example, CF interprets attribute=variable, or destination={a variable called Orlando, which doesn't exist}.  I've seen code like destination=newDest, but that's hokey and not reliable.

HTH,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, what if you added enctype="multipart/form-data" to the form?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thought, but he already has that.

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, OK.  I searched this page and didn't see it.

That's all I had to offer, good luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Louie,

You are correct.  I think I had this confused with another thread (maybe not even one from you) that kept changing topic.  Nevermind.

-Carl V. - Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my post from July 1 is where things went astray.   While it's the same application, it has nothing to do with the original error.  As I said earlier, I tend to react to errors I have and not think it through whether it fits in the thread or not.  I will do my best to not do that any more on here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok stupid question time...  since the file is being uploaded to a subdirectory where the code resides, is there a way to do something like a directory listing to show what it thinks is there so I can compare it to what I am trying to assign?   I know I'm grasping at straws, but I have not much else.   Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<!--- The result is a query --->

<cfdirectory directory="full_path_to_directory" name="dirQuery" action="list">

<cfdump var="#dirQuery#">

<!--- Query of the query. Perhaps more useful, containing just what you need --->

<!---

<cfquery name="dirQuery2" dbtype="query">

SELECT name, dateLastModified, size, type

FROM dirQuery

</cfquery>

<cfdump var="#dirQuery2#">

--->

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inserted the 1st one in the .cfm file that does the pop-up; where the error occurs.  The directory shown by that code and the one the error message says is invalid, are identical.   So, what is invalid about the directory that exists?   Is there a way to get more detail?   So confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2016 Jul 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LouieWarren wrote:

I inserted the 1st one in the .cfm file that does the pop-up; where the error occurs. The directory shown by that code and the one the error message says is invalid, are identical.

Why do you now bring in "the .cfm file that does the pop-up; where the error occurs"? Weren't we talking instead about the CFM file that does the upload, where the error occurs?

Insert the test code in the file that does the upload. (I would temporarily comment out the upload code first).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you now bring in "the .cfm file that does the pop-up; where the error occurs"? Weren't we talking instead about the CFM file that does the upload, where the error occurs?

Insert the test code in the file that does the upload. (I would temporarily comment out the upload code first).

My apologies...   the pop-up and the upload are the same file.  So, I did as you said and the current directory and the directory that is supposedly invalid are identical.  Sorry for the confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2016 Aug 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reviewed this thread. It is now clear to me why Coldfusion is unable to find the destination directory.

When you began the thread, the value of the destination directory (newDest) was

\\TestServer\secure\Authorization\378Docs\

and the action page for the upload form was

\\TestServer\secure\Authorization\upload378Act.cfm

Destination directory and upload form appeared to have the same root directory, namely, \\TestServer\secure\Authorization\. However, in the most recent error-message, the value of the destination is

\\wedt-Dev\secure\Authorization\378Docs\

whereas the upload form's action page (which you have blanked out) is at

\\W...\...\...\WEDT\secure\Authorization\upload378Act.cfm

The respective root directories are different. This suggests that the paths \\wedt-Dev\secure\Authorization\ and \W...\...\...\WEDT\secure\Authorization\ belong to 2 different environments, possibly development and production. In fact, the latest error message suggests you're attempting to get the production code (in \WEDT\secure\Authorization\) to upload files to a destination on the development server (in \WEDT-DEV\secure\Authorization\).

Now, on to a possible solution. Use the following dynamic, server-independent definition of your destination directory

<cfset newDest = getDirectoryFromPath(expandpath('*.*')) & "378Docs\">

Place the line just before the cffile upload tag. It will resolve to

\\wedt-Dev\secure\Authorization\378Docs\

or to

\\W...\...\...\WEDT\secure\Authorization\378Docs\

depending on which server you are on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the discrepancy is my absent minded self not putting things up correctly.  My customer gets weird when I put actual directories and application names, etc.  In my haste to solve this issue I changed more of the directory name in one than I did in the other.  All that aside, it appears your fix, fixed it!   I have to do some more testing, but I believe we have finally fixed this pig!  Thank you. 

Should I wait until I actually verify things are working to mark this as solved, or do it now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At your convenience, LouieWarren. The important thing is that you're satisfied your problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation