• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Establishing SQL Server 2014 Express Datasource Locally

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to set up my brand new and ultra-clean dev box, running Win 8.1, SQL Server Express w/Tools 2014, CF 11. Having a really difficult time of it. Is there a step-by-step resource available. Are there common errors made in the SQL install that I may have made?

Also, when I last used CF Studio (a long time ago, yes...) there was a way you could view and manipulate your datasources/databases from within studio. I haven't been able to find that in CFBuilder... It was really useful, so I cannot imagine they would have killed it... so... where is it?

Finally... Any recommended reading for someone who's taken more than a decade off CF development? (and for that matter, programming of any sort)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure SQL Server Express is installed on the default port (1433), otherwise you'll have to chase down the correct port.  Make sure that TCP is enabled in SQL Server Configuration Manager (it's usually off by default for security).

You can use RDS in CFBuilder to browse/manipulate your database.  There is an RDS Dataview that is part of the ColdFusion "Perspective".  You have to enable RDS on your development server and then enter the correct credentials when you configure the server connection in CFBuilder.  I personally don't like using it - I prefer to work in SQL Server Management Studio to write/test queries, then copy them into my code in CFBuilder.

As far as catching up, I'd steer clear of the ColdFusion Web Application Construction Kit (CF-WACK) books; while they introduce and explain the various features of ColdFusion fairly well, the approach to writing and organizing code is pretty archaic.  I recommend Learn CF in a Week and Learn CFML with the ColdFusion Koans.  I believe Online video tutorials & training | lynda.com has some ColdFusion tutorials as well.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note as well you will need at least Coldfusion 11 Update 3 to use SQL Server 2014 as I don't think it was supported until that patch.

Not sure if the Coldfusion download on the Adobe website includes update 3 or not! The latest build is something like 11,0,03,292840

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Adobe incorporated Update 3 into the latest installers.  Good catch on the compatibility with SQL Server 2014 - somehow I completely missed that!

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help everyone.

Part of my problem was that I set the SQLEXPRESS server to accept only Windows Authentication logins without providing CF Server the correct permissions. The directions I found are here:

CF User |  Windows Authentication, SQL Server, and ColdFusion

I also tried this; I'm not sure if it was necessary or not:

http://helpx.adobe.com/coldfusion/kb/configuring-sql-server-express-default.html

At any rate, I've got everything working now and thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, the second link is what I meant by enabling TCP.  And I forgot about the SQL Authentication vs. Windows Authentication issue - I hope it didn't take too long to identify that.

Glad you're up and running!

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation