Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frequency of application.cfc/cfm triggered

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all,

Y'know.. in all the years that I've been coding in CFML, it never once occurred to me to ask the following question, but here it is..

If I have a page as such:

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html>

<head><title>Unknown Comic</title></head>

<cfinclude url="menu.cfm"/>

blah blah blah - foo bar

<cfinclude url="footer.cfm" />

</html>

Does the application.cfc trigger only once (for the document, itself)?  Or does it trigger once for the document, then once for each include (total of three times for above example)?

V/r,

^_^

(Forgive the n00b question - it just never came to mind until now.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

URL attribute aside, the cfincludes pull the content "into" the existing .cfm page, so the appropriate Application.cfc methods would be called only once.  This is still considered one request.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cfinclude tag does not currently have a "url" attribute. It does not make another request to the server and thus does not involve application.cfc

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

URL attribute aside, the cfincludes pull the content "into" the existing .cfm page, so the appropriate Application.cfc methods would be called only once.  This is still considered one request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @nic_tunney.  I couldn't shake that feeling that it was being triggered for each include.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are implying that the cfinclude tag invokes Application.cfc which is not the case. For clarity, no matter how many cfincludes you use, the Application.cfc is not involved. It is the single request that an agent makes of the server that invokes Appliction.cfc.

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not implying anything; I'm asking. 

I didn't think that cfinclude was triggering application.cfc; I thought that the .cfm file loaded via cfinclude might be triggering application.cfc, because I understood that every .cfc and .cfm file triggered application.cfc. 

But now I am of the understanding that only the .cfm file requested by the browser triggers the application.cfc.

V/r,

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the text above my post, you will see this:

Eddie Lotter     Mar 24, 2016 6:07 AM    (in response to nic_tunney)

In other words, I was not saying that you were implying anything. I'm sorry if you felt misunderstood.

Cheers

Eddie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry.. I tend to treat all replies as to the channel/thread, not individual users.  I rarely look at the "in response to", mostly because it almost blends into the background, the letters are so thin.

But, reading nic_tunney's response, I don't think that nic was implying cfinclude was triggering the application.cfc.  Just MHO.  I understood it as "cfinclude brings content (from other files) into the existing page", which I guess could be construed as an indirect invoke considering that the content is pulled from another CFML source.

But, I digress (and boy is that painful - bah-dum-bum, tsssssss.)

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation