• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with software and OS version compatibility for a new, circa. 2000-2005, Virtual Machine

Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to reinstall some old software that originally was designed to run on Windows XP 32-bit. Figuring I could also run Coldfusion 4.x through MX 7 (this is something I have reasons for wanting to do—I don't need to be advised to install newer server, thanks), I created a virtual machine and installed Windows XP. All would be fine, except that XP only allows for the creation of one web site under IIS 5.1, and I need to run more than one. So, it's back to the provervial drawing board for me.

So, I'm shopping for a new Windows OS. In a Windows help forum where this one web site under IIS issue was discussed, someone suggested installing Windows Server 2003. This gets me off into the weeds.

My main concern is that, at some point, my other software, created to run on Wind XP, started getting really funky under new OS's. I bought this software new in 2002, and I kept it through a few PC and OS upgrades. It definitely didn't like Windows 7 Pro, at all. Would run, but with errors, and the help system was dead. Having it run solidly was why I went back to Win XP.

The question I think I'm asking is which Windows OS's will agreeably run software written for Win XP 32-bit, will provide multiple web sites under IIS, and will also run CF server from 4.x through MX? Trying to research these issues leads to all sorts of bunny trails.

Thanks so much!
John

TOPICS
Documentation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's kind of possible to run multiple IIS instances on Windows XP pro, as described here:

https://www.developerfusion.com/code/4645/multiple-iis-virtual-servers-on-xp-pro/

That said, you're not going to be able to do everything exactly as you want to without either using Windows Server 2003 (which I think will safely run any Windows XP 32-bit software) or setting up multiple virtual servers.

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I can't thank you enough. This is a better solution than I had hoped for. Once again, you are valuable source of knowledge, as you have been for decades.

You might find it interesting that, since I lost the included CD with CFWACK 2nd Ed years ago, I recently bought an actual "NEW" copy on eBay just to get the CD.

CFWACK.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is OLD! I hope it helps!

Dave Watts, Eidolon LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation